• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1404.JPG

Well got the choke done, that little metal arm they put on the carb is useless short wrong angle and then they put in a hole that would need a 1/4 bolt what are thinking. So made up new one from some glass plate. That dam little connection on the end of the shaft little shaft is a slot with 2 rounded ends. So that had to be made into the arm took a little time but got it to fit nicely and all done this should do the job.

BalsaDust

Looks like a fast little plane I think it will put a smile on your fasce. But please note owned a lot of JR servos all good but the the 507 have put me into the ground more times than I would like to remember be fearful with those.

Might I ask what went wrong with them? I ran all these for ten minutes last night on my servo tester and didn't see any glitches or anything but I would like to know what you had happen.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Might I ask what went wrong with them? I ran all these for ten minutes last night on my servo tester and didn't see any glitches or anything but I would like to know what you had happen.
I have run a lot of JR servo all different numbers but the only one that has bit me in the ass are 507 they just die with no warning. They just go dead and lock in one direction. That always checked out on work bench but they did not last in the air. Use them but not on the elevator. Or ailerons.

BalsaDust

I have run a lot of JR servo all different numbers but the only one that has bit me in the ass are 507 they just die with no warning. They just go dead and lock in one direction. That always checked out on work bench but they did not last in the air. Use them but not on the elevator. Or ailerons.

Lol I had planned to run them on the rudder and ailerons as I have three of them and the hitec in the pic will go on the elevator. I did have two 517's and I took the second out of commission as it had a mind of its own and when you brought the stick back to center it would sometimes make full travel back the other way before coming to center. The 507's I got came out of my old 40 size super sportster that I gave away.

I guess I will find some other servos to use. I have some other ones I could use but they are heavy and way overkill for this plane.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Lol I had planned to run them on the rudder and ailerons as I have three of them and the hitec in the pic will go on the elevator. I did have two 517's and I took the second out of commission as it had a mind of its own and when you brought the stick back to center it would sometimes make full travel back the other way before coming to center. The 507's I got came out of my old 40 size super sportster that I gave away.

I guess I will find some other servos to use. I have some other ones I could use but they are heavy and way overkill for this plane.
Do you have one or two servos for the ailerons if two then it's doable, one servo for elevator and one for ailerons than I would suggest another servo.

BalsaDust

It uses a single for the elevator but I could use two pretty easily as it has two control rods coming back to a single servo. Ailerons each get their own servo.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I finally got some work done last night in the workshop. I'm fixing a few things on my Carf Extra 330L before I put it up for sale. I had a dead stick this summer and ended up in the beans and damage the wheel pants and loosened the gear plate. The gear leg also did a little damage to the fuse. It was all very miner, but since the rest of the airplane looks like new I wanted to fix it all.

I used a Dremal and ground the cracks a little bit and reinforced the back side with some glass cloth on two spots that needed it. I then filled the cracks with 30 minute epoxy with ground fiberglass mixed in to form a paste. One trick I use in a case like this is to apply the epoxy glass paste and then put a piece of blue painters tape over it and smooth it out. When the epoxy hardens you pull off the tape and it's nice and smooth so you have a lot less sanding to do.

20161208_205734_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
This is whats been keeping me from getting any work done in the workshop.

20161209_165239_resized.jpg

One of my customers was on his way to a car show a while ago and stopped at a stop light and his buddy following him in a 56 Chevy didn't, to the tune of about $6000.:face-palm: While we had it in the shop the owner decided to have us freshen up the paint on rest of it.

So, about a months worth of work, and many thousands of dollars latter, it's leaving tomorrow.

BalsaDust

Sounds about right that the Chevy was following the Ford. LOL. Seriously it's a shame though when two classics get hurt but looks like y'all did a great job on the repairs.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

View attachment 92064

One of my customers was on his way to a car show a while ago and stopped at a stop light and his buddy following him in a 56 Chevy didn't, to the tune of about $6000.:face-palm: While we had it in the shop the owner decided to have us freshen up the paint on rest of it.

So, about a months worth of work, and many thousands of dollars latter, it's leaving tomorrow.

That looks great beautifully done

View attachment 92064

There are some really nice looking old cars and people are prepared to spend quite some money to do that nice looking job. That must be a lot more enjoyable than fixing cars that have been in an accident. Good to see you back have to earn some money for that new free plane you got.