• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
So I have a question for everybody. What kind of rpm should I have my two dle55's set at when at idle?
I never check my idle but what I do set it as low as possible so that it will idle for a solid minute before it dies or starts stumbles.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well gentleman after having this incident with Viton tubing splitting and causing me to bang up the plane quit a bit and nobody on GSN seems to have in counted this, I did some research and found on a nother sites that this has happened before and people have lost their planes because of it. The bottom line is Viton can not be stretch much, very little in fact. Slide the tubing over a brass tube in it ok but push it over the burred fitting and it will split.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I never check my idle but what I do set it as low as possible so that it will idle for a solid minute before it dies or starts stumbles.
I liked mine at 1600 or so.

Well gentleman after having this incident with Viton tubing splitting and causing me to bang up the plane quit a bit and nobody on GSN seems to have in counted this, I did some research and found on a nother sites that this has happened before and people have lost their planes because of it. The bottom line is Viton can not be stretch much, very little in fact. Slide the tubing over a brass tube in it ok but push it over the burred fitting and it will split.
Yellow Tygon for me. Never a problem.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
There are different levels of hardness for Viton. Do you know what yours was, or where it came from? The stuff I buy from PSP is VERY soft and flexible, and has not been a problem, and I use barbs on all my stuff. A Durometer rating of 60A is soft and flexible, when that number goes up it gets harder.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
There are different levels of hardness for Viton. Do you know what yours was, or where it came from? The stuff I buy from PSP is VERY soft and flexible, and has not been a problem, and I use barbs on all my stuff. A Durometer rating of 60A is soft and flexible, when that number goes up it gets harder.
Do not know the hardness just bought it from the local hobby store. It would Be nice to know which one I have. Well next time I need some I will get it from PSP.. but one thing bought some yellow fuel tubbing at JoeNall it is suppose to be the latest and greatest who knows but it is in the tank now and we will see how it works. Just trying to find some thing that does not harden up rebuilding gas tanks every spring is getting old.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know the hardness just bought it from the local hobby store. It would Be nice to know which one I have. Well next time I need some I will get it from PSP.. but one thing bought some yellow fuel tubbing at JoeNall it is suppose to be the latest and greatest who knows but it is in the tank now and we will see how it works. Just trying to find some thing that does not harden up rebuilding gas tanks every spring is getting old.
I read a good thread on this on the other site and one of the posters was a rubber engineer. Basically he said real 60A Durometer Viton should last a very long time. He said that leaving fuel in the tank will mess with the chemicals in any rubber and eventually deteriorate it, even Viton. He said if you drain the fuel out of the tank Viton should last indefinitely.

Another poster brought up a good point. Make sure your really getting Viton, since it looks just like Neoprene and Neoprene will split just like yours did.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Same here. All my Viton comes from PSP. Never an issue.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Did a little flying today, being my only day off this week. But have managed to replace the tailwheel assembly on the big Yak. Originally I had a White Rose on her. But it just seemed so small in comparison of the size of the plane. So I removed it and replaced it with a brand new J and J tail wheel assembly. It gives me about another inch of clearance over the White Rose. And looks much nicer I think. I plan to put the White Rose on the Sukhoi as I think it will be a much better fit. Not to mention it will look really nice on it. No pictures tonight, but will try to get a couple in the next couple of days.
On another note, I dropped a line to Francisco at G Force Pilots. Explaining the dilemma regarding the size of the Pilot Bust I purchased for the new Edge. Depending on what he says, I will probably find a work around on the installation. I looked the pilot over really well and have come up with a possible solution. If I shorten him by about 3/4 of an inch, making him a just a tad shorter I think I can make him fit. Of course I don't want to have to cut him down if I can get away from that. But at least it is a possible workaround. Will keep you all posted.