• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Wacobipe

100cc
It seems that is just the way thing go now days. Sometimes the larger operations just don't seem to care.

A buddy of mine once said that buying quality only hurts once....buying cheap hurts every time you use it. I think those are good words to live by in this hobby. While we aren't in the plane, every quality issue is amplified by the risk of not making it to a smooth controlled landing.

This is not to take away from those who thought they were buying the right thing and later found out a company was taking a shortcut in cost on them.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
A buddy of mine once said that buying quality only hurts once....buying cheap hurts every time you use it. I think those are good words to live by in this hobby. While we aren't in the plane, every quality issue is amplified by the risk of not making it to a smooth controlled landing.

This is not to take away from those who thought they were buying the right thing and later found out a company was taking a shortcut in cost on them.

Buy nice, or buy twice.:way_to_go:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

You are correct but unfortunately in today's market I belive you second statement is correct 90 % of the time. It is what they can make to day and tomorrow does not exist.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
You are correct but unfortunately in today's market I belive you second statement is correct 90 % of the time. It is what they can make to day and tomorrow does not exist.
Could we ever get going on this topic! This is sort of side tracking from what I did in my workshop, but we all have to deal with being short changed in today's world. The quality of many types of products have cut every possible corner imaginable.

Wife and I like the Carolina pork barbeque that comes in the small white plastic pail. It is usually nice and lean meat and makes a great sandwich. The last few we have bought has been the worse. We bought one last week and it was mostly fat and grissle. I rarely ever take anything back to the store, but if it keeps going like this I will be returning things as getting short changed is wearing me down.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well back to model aeroplanes that I thoroughly enjoy. Almost finished the repairs on the Decathlon all the balsa wood done and painted again. Checking everything out found that one of the elevator servos was broken as well fixed it and will check everything out and be ready to fly when it decides to either stop raining or being windy.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Off work a little early today so I thought I would put the free time to good use. The tail gear swap on the Big Yak was really pretty easy even though I had to punch out the factory blind nuts and install new ones in a different location. I like the fact I will gain about an inch extra clearance on the tail with the J and J tailwheel assembly. The White Rose is nice, but I think it is just a tad small for the Behemoth Yak. So as mentioned, it will go on the Sukhoi. More appropriately fitting I think.
20170627_045501.jpg 20170627_045525.jpg 20170627_045532.jpg 20170627_045542.jpg 20170627_045558.jpg

After consulting a few "Full Scale" Edge photos, I have decided to use the G-Force pilot in the new Pilot Edge.
Full Scale Edge.jpg

After a little trimming of the rear canopy ring, and then a little by little trimming of the pilot...I got him to fit. And quite nicely too. Heck he even looks like the right size compared to the full scale. I also chose to "not" use the supplied sunglasses. To me, they just looked a little "cheesy".
20170627_090107.jpg
20170626_200827.jpg
20170626_200852.jpg
20170626_200910.jpg
20170626_201120.jpg

I think I can live with it. Hate to see a 167 dollar pilot sit around with no ride to fly. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Off work a little early today so I thought I would put the free time to good use. The tail gear swap on the Big Yak was really pretty easy even though I had to punch out the factory blind nuts and install new ones in a different location. I like the fact I will gain about an inch extra clearance on the tail with the J and J tailwheel assembly. The White Rose is nice, but I think it is just a tad small for the Behemoth Yak. So as mentioned, it will go on the Sukhoi. More appropriately fitting I think.
View attachment 97080 View attachment 97081 View attachment 97082 View attachment 97083 View attachment 97084

After consulting a few "Full Scale" Edge photos, I have decided to use the G-Force pilot in the new Pilot Edge.
View attachment 97085

After a little trimming of the rear canopy ring, and then a little by little trimming of the pilot...I got him to fit. And quite nicely too. Heck he even looks like the right size compared to the full scale. I also chose to "not" use the supplied sunglasses. To me, they just looked a little "cheesy".
View attachment 97086 View attachment 97087 View attachment 97088 View attachment 97089 View attachment 97090

I think I can live with it. Hate to see a 167 dollar pilot sit around with no ride to fly. LOL

That turned out really well I must say I like it, removing the sunglasses is also a good move he looks a lot more real. Great job.

thurmma

150cc
Got the Carden 330S that I am working on for a friend fired up last night for the first time in around 7 years! I have to hand it to DA on this one. I filled the tank about 1/2 full and started flipping the prop with the choke on. On the 12th or 13th flip, just as I was about to give in to having to pull the carb apart, it popped! Flipped the choke off and 5 flips later it was running. I didn't touch ANYTHING on the engine and after 7 years of not running, it was running in less than 20 flips of the prop. Not only was it running but, it was running like a swiss watch! Could not believe what I was hearing. I figured there would be some missing or popping for a little bit but, nothing. Just running probably the same way it was running when it completed it's last IMAC flight years ago.

Now to get the owner to get me the new radio so I can get this thing in the air and see what all the hubbub is about how Cardens fly. Everyone says I won't want to give it back to him once I fly it or that I will be ordering a kit and building one for myself. Hmmmmm, I do have a brand new ZDZ-180 sitting in the garage :)

web.jpg