• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Worked on these 2 ladies last night.

20170802_181525.jpg

First up, the Yak. Still waiting on my new parts from Tony at Pilot RC but in the mean time I still had some stuff to do. Slapped the HS-7955TG back in the wing that I bent a gear tooth on, then got to work on opening the bottom fuselage exhaust vents. I had about a 6:1 ratio before of air out:air in based on my rough surface area calculations but now I'll have even more than that. Once the new cowl gets here I'll get it baffled up real good to keep this thing from getting too hot.

I slapped my new fuel tank in too from NorthWest RC, got it all plumbed up with fresh new Tygon tubing.

20170802_191922.jpg

A little tip I have for securing tubing on your tanks is don't ever use zip ties or the little spring clamps. Not only do zip ties not work all that well (as they can allow for air to leak in if they are secured wrong), but the little spring clamps also suck to work with and IMO aren't all that great, they compress in a small area which could cut through the lines eventually.

What I do instead is slice off a small ~1/8" section of the same Tygon tubing and then slip it over the end of a pair of needle nose pliers. Open up the needle nose pliers to expand the tubing slightly then slip your main fuel tubing inside of this small 1/8" slice. Pull the pliers out, then slip the tubing onto your fitting.

20170802_185741.jpg

This compresses the Tygon around the fitting evenly and without excessive pressure. I have never had a fitting come loose and neither has any of my buddies who use this method, I learned it from Colton Clark who showed it to me at Joe Nall 2016. I do this for all of the fittings:

20170802_191942.jpg

The last thing I did to the Yak was I had to bend the throttle arm on the carb slightly to clear the muffler, but that takes 2 seconds with a pair of needle nose. It's not super pretty but I'm not after looks, I'm after performance (especially since this airplane is no beauty queen).

Onto the Edge. I didn't do much to it except relocate my batteries behind the wing tube, hopefully this pushes my CG right to where I need it to be.

20170802_194847.jpg

Zip ties for now, I have to adjust my straps setup since my small straps are now too large to secure the packs :oblong: I'll have to change the length of the input leads for the DPS 40, should take all of 10 minutes to do that.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Worked on these 2 ladies last night.

View attachment 98158

First up, the Yak. Still waiting on my new parts from Tony at Pilot RC but in the mean time I still had some stuff to do. Slapped the HS-7955TG back in the wing that I bent a gear tooth on, then got to work on opening the bottom fuselage exhaust vents. I had about a 6:1 ratio before of air out:air in based on my rough surface area calculations but now I'll have even more than that. Once the new cowl gets here I'll get it baffled up real good to keep this thing from getting too hot.

I slapped my new fuel tank in too from NorthWest RC, got it all plumbed up with fresh new Tygon tubing.

View attachment 98160

A little tip I have for securing tubing on your tanks is don't ever use zip ties or the little spring clamps. Not only do zip ties not work all that well (as they can allow for air to leak in if they are secured wrong), but the little spring clamps also suck to work with and IMO aren't all that great, they compress in a small area which could cut through the lines eventually.

What I do instead is slice off a small ~1/8" section of the same Tygon tubing and then slip it over the end of a pair of needle nose pliers. Open up the needle nose pliers to expand the tubing slightly then slip your main fuel tubing inside of this small 1/8" slice. Pull the pliers out, then slip the tubing onto your fitting.

View attachment 98159

This compresses the Tygon around the fitting evenly and without excessive pressure. I have never had a fitting come loose and neither has any of my buddies who use this method, I learned it from Colton Clark who showed it to me at Joe Nall 2016. I do this for all of the fittings:

View attachment 98161

The last thing I did to the Yak was I had to bend the throttle arm on the carb slightly to clear the muffler, but that takes 2 seconds with a pair of needle nose. It's not super pretty but I'm not after looks, I'm after performance (especially since this airplane is no beauty queen).

Onto the Edge. I didn't do much to it except relocate my batteries behind the wing tube, hopefully this pushes my CG right to where I need it to be.

View attachment 98162

Zip ties for now, I have to adjust my straps setup since my small straps are now too large to secure the packs :oblong: I'll have to change the length of the input leads for the DPS 40, should take all of 10 minutes to do that.
Buying battery straps can suck because people seem to measure them differently, and some I don't think measure them at all. I bought some red ones that were supposed to be 200mm that measured almost 300mm. I bought some from Buddy RC that were perfect for my the LiPo's in my new Extra. They had both normal and the rubber coated ones which work awesome. Plus they're cheap!

https://www.buddyrc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=EPB-7004

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Buying battery straps can suck because people seem to measure them differently, and some I don't think measure them at all. I bought some red ones that were supposed to be 200mm that measured almost 300mm. I bought some from Buddy RC that were perfect for my the LiPo's in my new Extra. They had both normal and the rubber coated ones which work awesome. Plus they're cheap!

https://www.buddyrc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=EPB-7004

I have the smallest straps PureTech makes (2" ID) and they are still too large, I have some other velcro straps that should work, come to think of it... o_O

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
i have gone away from those straps other than the few I still have. I have instead picked up a box of the double sided Velcro from Lowes and have been very happy with it.
The double sided Velcro is nice, but I can never get the tightness just like I want it without redoing it several times. I still use a lot of it though. Especially on things that I rarely take out.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm getting pretty close on the upgrades to the big Sukhoi. Last night I pretty much finished the new program in the transmitter and tested some parts of it. The throttle, kill switches, rudder and the smoke mix are all done other than fine tuning the smoke mix at the field. I couldn't make heads or tails of the old mix, and the instructions I found online for the PowerBox smoke pump were no help at all. I've got it set up that when the switch is on, the pump comes on its slowest speed at about half throttle and speeds up as you throttle up. We can fine tune it from there.

I have the gyro mounted, but not wired. I need to put the wings on it and make sure I didn't screw up anything in the aileron programing before I finish hooking it up the gyro. Putting the wings and stabs on in my family room should be fun! I also need to drill the holes for the kill switch LED's and snap those in.

With any luck I should be done with most of it tonight. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to rain most of the day on Sunday, so no flying.:( I'm really looking forward to seeing the SU-31 back in the air and hearing that DA200 again. The owner Tony told me last night that he's getting excited about this airplane again which make me very happy.:)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it has been raining all day so it has been a day in the shop. Got the gear reinforced and mounted it should say in, and got the new motor mount on the firewall. Had to plug the existing holes and drill 4 new holes not a big deal.
Just plugging away at it as time allows. It is Summer if the weather is good I am flying.

IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Been investigating my laser 73" "glitch" lots of forum research nothing definitive yet

33d393d734d568b8e17f278b120ff107.jpg

One thing I was reading up on with the tech aero. For those running A123 batteries, what voltage setting are you at? Mine has no plug jumpers so 6.6 but that's the highest setting. Curious if when the battery is under load for a bit it gets a spike that is below 6.6 creating some sort of power loss?? Makes me wish I had a data logger in my tx! Far fetched but dunno.

My Tx failsafe was set to hold position.... from what I can remember it was holding its position the times it happened. Unresponsive model continuing on course for the 3 sec duration. This starts to make me think it's not a battery issue since the engine was running smoothly each time this happened. And this is supposed to happen when interference takes place.
Plus my lack of switch, deans to dual JR plugs, makes me believe it cannot be this. Ohm checked good too.
The receiver was taken out and put in a cub and has been working great. So probably not the receiver.
My clean and dirty side was separated from the start. Possibly one antenna too close to the battery lead.... but that's far fetched to me too.

Also found a report of this happening to another guy and it was a slightly loose ignition cap (spring installed), and put a hose clamp on it to fix it. My engine is a new DA-35, doesn't seem as tight as per say my DLE-35 so might have something there? Going to investigate that a bit further.

I hate shotgunning parts!! It's very tempting to just throw one some new equipment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "guess" would be a voltage drop / amp spike caused by a poor connector / connection some where. You said your lock out failsafe is activated. RFI can hit and glitch servos but not fail safe a receiver if it is "mild". Hard RFI will cause things to go APE :steamer:. JST and RST style connectors have different pin and socket shapes from different MFG's and can cause poor "electrical" performance due to poor fit and poor conductivity. Do you use different extensions from different MFG's ??? JR style and Universal fit connectors same as Futaba style and Universal fit connectors can have the pin shape issue. But definitely check RFI issue as well!! A friends plane with Tech Aero and Life batteries had subtle glitches at first but then after a few more flights finally went APE :steamer: and lost the plane. Never went in to lock out failsafe (spectrum radio) and failsafe was set up. Did find Ignition Noise due to plug cap fit. Hope you get it pin pointed and have peace of mind.