• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well I spent a few minutes inspecting the servos on my Yak post-crash to make sure they were all good, was working the right panel when suddenly the aileron locked in place at about 30* of travel :eek::eek: Moved the stick on my Tx back out and they free'd right up. The inboard servo seemed to be suspect as it just didn't sound right when it was turning one direction. Pulled the gears out today and inspected them and discovered this:

20170801_074040.jpg

You can see the marked tooth is clearly bent. Swapped in a new output gear and the problem went away. Hundreds and hundreds of flights on this servo, not to mention a number of crashes, and that tooth finally gave up. I'd say this servo has done well over the years.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Well I spent a few minutes inspecting the servos on my Yak post-crash to make sure they were all good, was working the right panel when suddenly the aileron locked in place at about 30* of travel :eek::eek: Moved the stick on my Tx back out and they free'd right up. The inboard servo seemed to be suspect as it just didn't sound right when it was turning one direction. Pulled the gears out today and inspected them and discovered this:

View attachment 98119

You can see the marked tooth is clearly bent. Swapped in a new output gear and the problem went away. Hundreds and hundreds of flights on this servo, not to mention a number of crashes, and that tooth finally gave up. I'd say this servo has done well over the years.
You are WAY too hard on those servos :D

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I think he would need to find a new job if he ran Blue Bird servos.;)

Exactly! :yesss:. I run them exclusively :cheers:.

But WAIT! I did set up a M*A*S*H unit to do a complete bowel removal and replacement on a patient that had spaghetti bowl syndrome:ooh?:.

Sanitizing is the best procedure for this ailment and complete recovery is expected! I do not believe suppositories would appropriately address the issue:dancing-poop:.

0801171602-01.jpg
0801171602-00.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Exactly! :yesss:. I run them exclusively :cheers:.

But WAIT! I did set up a M*A*S*H unit to do a complete bowel removal and replacement on a patient that had spaghetti bowl syndrome:ooh?:.

Sanitizing is the best procedure for this ailment and complete recovery is expected! I do not believe suppositories would appropriately address the issue:dancing-poop:.

View attachment 98121 View attachment 98122
The one I'm working on is the opposite of spaghetti bowl syndrome. It's so neat and orderly I'm almost afraid to touch it.

DSCF0243(1).JPG
DSCF0242.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
You absolutely have a mighty fine "beauty" on your table:). Good for both the Dr. and the patient:attaboy:.

Me. More like a proctologist . Pretty much what comes out the end :steamer: (by having to gut and re do):laughing:. But hopefully it will be a better, cleaner, more reliable ride for the owner when it is finished. I flew it last Sunday and it did fly extremely well but was pretty nose heavy. The batteries drained very quickly too. So better wire management, engine cooling, engine mounting, receiver / gyro mounting, vibration and heat safe guards, new batteries with an IBEC, balance and a thorough control surface linkage / deflection check and adjustments. Of course my ignition and carb parts showed up today when he brought me this to do:face-palm:. None the less I really enjoy it :). Will probably have to do some new programming too ;).

0801172043-00.jpg 0801172044-00.jpg 0801172045-00.jpg 0801172046-00.jpg 0801171600-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I think my buddy's bird is going to be a bit "lighter and healthier!" :)

Still have to fabricate an ignition bed and custom machine some stand offs to get that great spinner to cowl fit.
Removed a bunch of unnecessary fuel line, wire extensions, spiral wrap and the ignition battery. Once completed. The new redundant 3000mah Lipo's can be removed easily for charging / maintenance. Access to the wing bolts is much better. The gyro and receiver both have redundant power supply now. The Rx antennae are protected and oriented for best reception.

0802171707-00.jpg 0802171707-01.jpg 0802171708-00.jpg 0802171708-01.jpg 0802171710-00.jpg 0802171711-00.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Every time I look at it I try and figure out the steps involved in painting that thing in the mold. It boggles the mind when you think how they painted the mold before any glass went down. It's not like painting something on the outside. You can't paint it all silver then start striping, you'd end up with a silver airplane.
You trying to paint it backwards, I cannot even paint it right side up. But I have agree that is one good looking machine with out looking overdone.