• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
No real work in the shop tonight, but I did manage to spend some money by ordering some custom landing gear for my Hangar 9 Extra 300X. The factory gear proved not to be up to the task for the fat girls 30 pounds and a grass field. So, I decided to have Tom and TNT Landing Gear make a new custom set. I'm very confident his Aluminum will be WAY better than the Chinese stuff that was on it. I'm having him make them about 2" narrower so it will roll through the doorway into the garage more easily and not hit the pants on the door frame. I'm also changing from 3 1/2" wheels to 4 1/2" and raising the pants up a bit.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
No real work in the shop tonight, but I did manage to spend some money by ordering some custom landing gear for my Hangar 9 Extra 300X. The factory gear proved not to be up to the task for the fat girls 30 pounds and a grass field. So, I decided to have Tom and TNT Landing Gear make a new custom set. I'm very confident his Aluminum will be WAY better than the Chinese stuff that was on it. I'm having him make them about 2" narrower so it will roll through the doorway into the garage more easily and not hit the pants on the door frame. I'm also changing from 3 1/2" wheels to 4 1/2" and raising the pants up a bit.

Glad he's still doing business :). When I used to build pre cuts and first generation ARF's the first thing I did was call and order from TnT and Fiberglass Specialties :attaboy:.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
30 pounds? Holy smokes. I had no idea. What made it so heavy?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
No real accomplishments tonight fellas. Other than making some definite decisions on how to approach the Baby Yak assembly. I did however add the Baby Yak to my radio and program the elevator servos and rudder servo. The original builder only had about 20 degrees deflection on those surfaces. I an only assume he did not intend to practice the art of tossing it at the ground and missing. "Definition of Hucking". LOL So with new EPA's programmed in, turnbuckles re-positioned and dual rates programmed...those surfaces are now traveling to their full potential. Somewhere around 48 degrees on the elevators and 45 on the rudder. Aaahhh!!! Just right for me. :banana-dance:
I only have one day off this week, so tomorrow I plan to get the ailerons programmed and the entire radio system completely installed. Hopefully I will have an engine choice decided upon and a plan implemented. Here we go again. LOL

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
30 pounds? Holy smokes. I had no idea. What made it so heavy?
30.5 to be exact.:( With everything as far forward as I could get it it still needed 12 ounces to make it balance. If I went to stock mufflers that would knock off a pound instantly, plus I'm sure I would be able to loose a bunch of the nose weight since the canisters move the CG aft. The problem with that is I despise the sound of stock mufflers.

BalsaDust

No real accomplishments tonight fellas. Other than making some definite decisions on how to approach the Baby Yak assembly. I did however add the Baby Yak to my radio and program the elevator servos and rudder servo. The original builder only had about 20 degrees deflection on those surfaces. I an only assume he did not intend to practice the art of tossing it at the ground and missing. "Definition of Hucking". LOL So with new EPA's programmed in, turnbuckles re-positioned and dual rates programmed...those surfaces are now traveling to their full potential. Somewhere around 48 degrees on the elevators and 45 on the rudder. Aaahhh!!! Just right for me. :banana-dance:
I only have one day off this week, so tomorrow I plan to get the ailerons programmed and the entire radio system completely installed. Hopefully I will have an engine choice decided upon and a plan implemented. Here we go again. LOL

Hopefully I can help with that engine choice a little.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
30.5 to be exact.:( With everything as far forward as I could get it it still needed 12 ounces to make it balance. If I went to stock mufflers that would knock off a pound instantly, plus I'm sure I would be able to loose a bunch of the nose weight since the canisters move the CG aft. The problem with that is I despise the sound of stock mufflers.
Yup, been there done that. My 35% PAU Extra was a complete pig. 31 pounds on the dot. And I did zero additions. And yet my Pilot Edge with the exact carbon copy mirrored image set up came in 2.5 pounds lighter. Figure that one out. I have been on the other side of the coin with exhaust systems. Like you, I hated the noisey stock exhaust. But I am finding a new appreciation for it on some setups. I kind of like that 70 twin on the Pitts with stocks. Lol

Hopefully I can help with that engine choice a little.
Perhaps... just want to make sure that 62 is sound for you!