• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
All these weights we are talking about this is on 35% planes with 120cc size engines. So what would the ideal weight be ???? Lbs (or what is weight of a good 3D plane.)
And on a 30% plane with 85cc or 100cc what would the ideal weight be ???? Lbs.
What I do know is that a 25% plane with a 50cc engine must be 14 lbs and less if you can.
Just my opinion, but ideally as light as you can get them. We have a friend that has a 40% Edge that tips the scales at a whole whopping 28 lbs. He flies it with a DA 120. Just amazing. I myself do not like over 16 to 16.5 lbs. for a 30%. 35% I am pleased with 25 to 27. As for 40%, it really depends on airframe. Examples would be most 40 centers can make it in around 36 to 39. My 40% Sukhoi comes in at 42. But I have that plane really loaded with electronics. My 40% 260 is also about 42 lbs. However it is an SD Models and they were slightly heavier than the new Pilot airframes. Now if we talk 40% Yak, yikes both of mine have been 50'ish lbs. But remember the Russian Yak 54 is a very large acrobatic plane. With the invent of all the newer servos, radio systems, batteries and yes even engines... I see these weight norms dropping. Also, bipes from what I understand are generally heavier than a mono any day of the week. I think it really all depends on airframe type and setup.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
All these weights we are talking about this is on 35% planes with 120cc size engines. So what would the ideal weight be ???? Lbs (or what is weight of a good 3D plane.)
And on a 30% plane with 85cc or 100cc what would the ideal weight be ???? Lbs.
What I do know is that a 25% plane with a 50cc engine must be 14 lbs and less if you can.

There are a lot of guys that make the argument that a 120cc airplane should be in the high 20's. My Edge is something like 25lb and I can honestly say I wish it was heavier, tumbles take a LOT of coaxing just to get it to ball up (I.E. crankshafts, upline spins, etc.) otherwise it just snaps and stops. I haven't flown a 28lb Pilot Edge but I'd put money on it that it would crank up way easier, and have more control to its sink in high alpha.

My Yak doesn't have these issues, it weighs right around 29lb and whads right up.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
6a01d381042cfb6bdec185261cfbf677.jpg

Put together a new crack yak! Need to let the glue setup, and make the battery slot, but other than that I think I'll fly it tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
From the information from you guys the following graph was made. Studying it does explain some things. But this is how the chart looks with a small sampling, but line is very linear telling me that the data is good. As we collect data on what is light and heavy the graph can be expanded.
Looking at the graph it seems that up to 36% is the ideal ratio for 3D and as we continue on to the 40% the weight increases at a higher rate due to the inflection point on the curve.
14DE9182-67DE-442C-AF54-D37E80676E93.jpeg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I took Miss Moana outside today to test the carb rebuild. It seems to run pretty well. It did have a slight intermittent miss when wide open, not bad, but noticeable. I'm hoping it was the plug, it was flooding itself so bad last week the plug is probably toast. I put a new CM6 in it tonight so we'll see how it does at the field tomorrow.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So, how many of you have a Dalton 260 engine test stand? happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif
I have a really bad habit of not tossing out the trash when I think there still might be a use for said trash. Such is the case of the Dalton 260 I "WAS" going to rebuild for my friend. That is until we discovered it just was in too beat up shape to even mess with.
That is when it became my engine test stand. I have already tested three engines on it thus far. And number four will be the BE 62. happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif
So I dug it out of the storage shed and proceeded to mount that 62 on it.
20171008_100304.jpg 20171008_100311.jpg
It might be beat up but it can still support an engine, right? LOL
20171008_104525.jpg 20171008_104533.jpg
Now for the amenities. Prop, ignition, ignition battery and finally the tank.
20171008_104937.jpg 20171008_104941.jpg 20171008_115818.jpg
This little project killed most of my day. Not like I was doing anything else worth while. LOL. Oh, I guess I did work a little on the "little" SD/TOC Yak also. Revamped the rudder servo cables and double offset servo arm. I just didn't like the way it was done. I also weighed everything airframe related. As it stands, the Yak comes in at about 12 pounds. Course we need to add the combined weight of what ever engine and exhaust I end up using. So it could come in around the really high 17's to maybe the low 18's. At outside worse case, maybe 19 pounds. That is pretty good for a 95" 33% Yak, right? I would think pretty much any engine of the 60cc on up class would do a really good job on that plane. I really wanted to use the "dub" 70 twin from the Pitts, then get a lighter engine for that. But I am just not really keen on the idea of the extra 1.5 to 2 pounds the 70 weighs over a 60cc engine.

Anyway, back to the BE 62. I did get it fired up, but it really didn't run very well. I am going to do a little more tinkering with it before I toss in the towel on it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
So, how many of you have a Dalton 260 engine test stand? View attachment 99335
I have a really bad habit of not tossing out the trash when I think there still might be a use for said trash. Such is the case of the Dalton 260 I "WAS" going to rebuild for my friend. That is until we discovered it just was in too beat up shape to even mess with.
That is when it became my engine test stand. I have already tested three engines on it thus far. And number four will be the BE 62. View attachment 99336
So I dug it out of the storage shed and proceeded to mount that 62 on it.
View attachment 99337 View attachment 99338
It might be beat up but it can still support an engine, right? LOL
View attachment 99339 View attachment 99340
Now for the amenities. Prop, ignition, ignition battery and finally the tank.
View attachment 99341 View attachment 99342 View attachment 99343
This little project killed most of my day. Not like I was doing anything else worth while. LOL. Oh, I guess I did work a little on the "little" SD/TOC Yak also. Revamped the rudder servo cables and double offset servo arm. I just didn't like the way it was done. I also weighed everything airframe related. As it stands, the Yak comes in at about 12 pounds. Course we need to add the combined weight of what ever engine and exhaust I end up using. So it could come in around the really high 17's to maybe the low 18's. At outside worse case, maybe 19 pounds. That is pretty good for a 95" 33% Yak, right? I would think pretty much any engine of the 60cc on up class would do a really good job on that plane. I really wanted to use the "dub" 70 twin from the Pitts, then get a lighter engine for that. But I am just not really keen on the idea of the extra 1.5 to 2 pounds the 70 weighs over a 60cc engine.

Anyway, back to the BE 62. I did get it fired up, but it really didn't run very well. I am going to do a little more tinkering with it before I toss in the towel on it.
That's a huge weight difference. The DA70 only weighs .4 pounds more than the 60 before the extra muffler and small differences in the ignition weights.