• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Played with smoke before but only on glow engines but it looks like these little 20 cc gas engines can really put out some smoke. Looks good.
This one is a 35cc, I tried and failed with smoke on nitro birds. There isn't enough room for the smoke to spray into and fan out/atomize in most nitro engines, thus the need for preheaters. This one is set up with a Powerbox Smoke Pump at 30% power mixed to the throttle, Super-Dri Smoke Oil, and a BadDogSmokes nozzle. No preheating. Very happy with it, although it's a little bit on the rich side - will have play around with the smoke pump power.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This one is a 35cc, I tried and failed with smoke on nitro birds. There isn't enough room for the smoke to spray into and fan out/atomize in most nitro engines, thus the need for preheaters. This one is set up with a Powerbox Smoke Pump at 30% power mixed to the throttle, Super-Dri Smoke Oil, and a BadDogSmokes nozzle. No preheating. Very happy with it, although it's a little bit on the rich side - will have play around with the smoke pump power.
I agree smoke on glow engines was difficult and painful. And no matter what you did it really did not work well. But that little gasser really puts out the smoke need to see video of it in the air. Loved. Smoke but did not like what it did to the bottom of my planes but that may be different with gas engines.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have a question I have big Stick from AMR great plane made a lot of changes to it but it is still a stick. Thinking of changing the wings. Remove the wings and install a set of wings from a 150cc aerobatic or 3D plane just for kicks. Will need a hole new wing saddle and centre transition piece to go onto the fuselage and connect the wings. But should be fun to do. Now all I need to do is get my hands on a set of wings.
20DCA5DD-E1F5-4439-8094-4C617CD74407.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree smoke on glow engines was difficult and painful. And no matter what you did it really did not work well. But that little gasser really puts out the smoke need to see video of it in the air. Loved. Smoke but did not like what it did to the bottom of my planes but that may be different with gas engines.

The key for eliminating residue is fine tuning the pump and the type of fluid used I think. I'm excited to get it in the air and hopefully take a video. I've been wanting to do this for a while, and took many measures to seal the covering and protect anything that was exposed. I'm going to have fun with it even if it ruins the plane. Also I was told the printed covering schemes from Extreme Flight are better than conventional covering trims when it comes to sealing (this plane is not printed though).

As far as the stick, I personally wouldn't bother with trying to make it do something it's not really meant for (3D). Just my 2 cents. What about a clipped double wing double beveled stik!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Cleaned up the interior of the 105 Laser last night. Cut a new 1/8 ply plate to mount my rx packs to, which was screwed in place so that it can be removed later if I need to work on something (like moving the elevator wires around). Then a 1/16 ply plate was cut to shape to let me mount the rx to. Antenna wires were routed through plastic tubes to keep the look clean.

33923472_10217397028104586_3498411760656842752_o.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Cleaned up the interior of the 105 Laser last night. Cut a new 1/8 ply plate to mount my rx packs to, which was screwed in place so that it can be removed later if I need to work on something (like moving the elevator wires around). Then a 1/16 ply plate was cut to shape to let me mount the rx to. Antenna wires were routed through plastic tubes to keep the look clean.

View attachment 103553
What happened to the Expert system you were using I thought you liked it. I belive it was by expert or am I wrong.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What happened to the Expert system you were using I thought you liked it. I belive it was by expert or am I wrong.

The XPS X24 was a fantastic unit but it's not compatible with the equipment I'm using now, so I removed it and have already sent it to a new home.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Have a question I have big Stick from AMR great plane made a lot of changes to it but it is still a stick. Thinking of changing the wings. Remove the wings and install a set of wings from a 150cc aerobatic or 3D plane just for kicks. Will need a hole new wing saddle and centre transition piece to go onto the fuselage and connect the wings. But should be fun to do. Now all I need to do is get my hands on a set of wings.
View attachment 103539

I may still have a wing set from a 100cc yak.