• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have not... my friend on the other hand had a supercharged YS with a pressurized fuel system that EXPLODED a prop when it back fired during a throttle advancement. The pieces took out a florescent light and 3-4" piece was stuck in the drywall of his garage. wow. He took a break after that to say the least.

Back in the 80's props were shooting off 4 strokes constantly at my field. It was down right hazardous.;)

Yep! I have "blown up" a prop or two in my days :oops:. And no Catholic Nun with a ruler can out smack a YS that backfires or detonates:eek:.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yep! I have "blown up" a prop or two in my days :oops:. And no Catholic Nun with a ruler can out smack a YS that backfires or detonates:eek:.
Well there was Sister Constantsha or "Cantstandya" as we called her, she had one of those 18" long triangular rules with the metal edges and knew how to use it. Ah, Catholic school in the late 60's. Brings back painful memories. ;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Back in the 80's props were shooting off 4 strokes constantly at my field. It was down right hazardous.;)
No kidding, right? After the first auto-disembarking prop, I figured there had to be a better way. When the second prop loosened but did not find open air, I decided I was just not going to take the chance. I bought special double lock nuts and reefed them suckers down. Even my Saito 180's couldn't shake the nuts loose.

As some of you know, last year I was trying to decide what to build for a winter time project and I just couldn't make up my mind. Well, I'm back at it again.:oblong:

I've been spending some time working on a new plan for a 50cc Culp Special. Will I actually finish the plan? Will I ever build it? Hard to say.:big-grin:

View attachment 103573 View attachment 103574
All I got to say is... you've done gone and let the lid off the jar. You best be for doing this one! She'll be so gorgeous.

Now git after it!
whipping-smiley-emoticon.gif

:laughing:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
No kidding, right? After the first auto-disembarking prop, I figured there had to be a better way. When the second prop loosened but did not find open air, I decided I was just not going to take the chance. I bought special double lock nuts and reefed them suckers down. Even my Saito 180's couldn't shake the nuts loose.

All I got to say is... you've done gone and let the lid off the jar. You best be for doing this one! She'll be so gorgeous.

Now git after it!
View attachment 103575
:laughing:
I've wanted a biplane for a long time, but thought the field assembly would suck, so I've never had a gas one. But after flying my 35% Extra that I have to take the stabs off to transport I figure a biplane can't be that much worse to assemble at the field.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I’ve been working on my Crack Camel off and on all week. Ever since I built it a few months ago it’s been under powered. Started off with a Rimfire 300 motor and it would just barely pull itself around the sky. Swapped that out for a Supertigre 370. Was a little better but still not a 3D machine. So, I tossed on a Supertigre 400. Not any better than the 370. :confused: I finally figured out that I had a bum speedo. It would rev to full power then it would chop the power down to about 1/2 throttle. So I swapped the Castle Talon 15 out for a Castle Thunderbird 18. Now she’s finally up to par.:)

2E902637-89A0-44CD-A5B9-EC4380616A9F.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I've wanted a biplane for a long time, but thought the field assembly would suck, so I've never had a gas one. But after flying my 35% Extra that I have to take the stabs off to transport I figure a biplane can't be that much worse to assemble at the field.
Doesn’t it equal out removing the stabilizer as a second wing I think it does so get a working on the Bi- Plane we are waiting in anticipation. We will all follow and give you bad advice but enjoy watching you build it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That was my biggest nay on a bipe. But truthfully after building the Pitts I've rethought my position. It's actually not bad. Pretty easy and actually quite quick for field assembly .