• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I blame it on Terry Wiles, the guy has many tricks up his sleeve. You should see how many sheets of the stuff I keep around, not to mention dental syringes, childrens cotton socks, tubes of red RTV, carbon tubes/4-40 rod, and other little miscellaneous things here and there- all just to build airplanes :omg::cool:

Baffling these smaller 2 cycle engines doesn't need to have overly extensive baffling like the full scale engines. If you can force air right up to the front of the cylinder heads then enough air will glide past the cooling fins to keep the heat down. Some of my friends get overly extensive and wrap their baffling completely around the cylinder head, but I go with what has worked well for me and my friends to keep it simple.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
You should see how many sheets of the stuff I keep around, not to mention dental syringes, childrens cotton socks, tubes of red RTV, carbon tubes/4-40 rod, and other little miscellaneous things here and there- all just to build airplanes :omg::cool:
I hear ya, don't have the socks but can see where they would come in handy, if I ever run out of cut up cotton T shirts that is. Thanks to you I have a drawer full of the foam sheets in black and white. Also have a load of the carbon and Titanium ends for rod making, rolls of 20 gauge servo wire as well as everything to make the connectors.
I am sure we all have loads of stuff stuck away for this hobby, shoot, if your not logging on to an accessories website and spending hundreds your not really into the hobby. LOL!!! I once spent a thousand at Micro Fasteners, but hey, I have every size nut-bolt-screw-washer etc. I could possibly need for a little while.

And by the way, Terry is a pretty smart fella and always willing to offer up some advice or a useful opinion.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1 does Gaui suggest break-in on a test stand? I know for 2 stroke gas engines that's the worst thing you can do for them, since they don't have adequate cooling.
You are correct you can ruin and engine very quickly. I have test stand just for testing. Never owned a Gaui or ran one before. Plus never had a starter on an engine. So all I wanted to do is check the electrical system for the starter and does it even run. Ran it twice for about 2 minuets. Ran good started good and had a good idle form the moment it ran so that is all I did it will now be mounted on a plane and broken in. But it will stay on the test stand until it idles properly. A couple of short heat cycles on a test stand and as long as you have a appropriate temperature sensors on the engine the engine will run just fine and it will not be damaged.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I routinely drop about $50-$100 at various outlets for fasteners and the like. And as of late, nitro cleaners :oblong:
Ok what is a nitro cleaner. Man I have flown nitro planes for over 30 years and still flying my YS,s until they die. But that one is new to me.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Eeewww, nitro :dancing-poop:.

It's the only way to jave real fun with cars, and not spend $1300+ :epic:

Ok what is a nitro cleaner. Man I have flown nitro planes for over 30 years and still flying my YS,s until they die. But that one is new to me.

For cleaning nitro cars after running them. Cleans dirt and grime right off.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamite-nitro-force-cleaner-dyn5505/p71647

Not needed on airplanes really, since they don't play in the dirt for the most part :oblong:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
You guys are all wrong, what you do is buy a new popular brand 120cc twin (not DA or 3W) mount it in your airplane with no baffling, don't tune on it, fly it at full throttle and dead stick it every flight until it breaks the crank. Then get another one and on the first flight run it lean as hell and wide open the whole flight until it locks up. Then get a third one, fly it once, dead stick it, and then not be able to keep it running after the first flight.
I want to help this guy, because he is a nice guy, but he doesn't ask and the few times I've offered, the damage was already done and I was diagnosing broken parts.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
You guys are all wrong, what you do is buy a new popular brand 120cc twin (not DA or 3W) mount it in your airplane with no baffling, don't tune on it, fly it at full throttle and dead stick it every flight until it breaks the crank. Then get another one and on the first flight run it lean as hell and wide open the whole flight until it locks up. Then get a third one, fly it once, dead stick it, and then not be able to keep it running after the first flight.
I want to help this guy, because he is a nice guy, but he doesn't ask and the few times I've offered, the damage was already done and I was diagnosing broken parts.

You promised you wouldn't tell anyone about that. It was just suppose to be between us. ;)