• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Pretty much. I will have a

pic of it tomorrow but the kit includes a G10 plate to mount everything to and glue it in. I choose to make that plate removable with a single servo screw screwing in from the bottom of the fuse just in case I have to work on a servo. The servos are epoxied to the G10 plate but I should be able to break them free if I ever need to hopefully not though.
Yes just as I said in there forever. Put the best stuff you have and make sure it is all tested and proven, or you will be doing a little bit of cursing. Have fun.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Pretty much. I will have a

pic of it tomorrow but the kit includes a G10 plate to mount everything to and glue it in. I choose to make that plate removable with a single servo screw screwing in from the bottom of the fuse just in case I have to work on a servo. The servos are epoxied to the G10 plate but I should be able to break them free if I ever need to hopefully not though.

The HD rubberized mounting tape from 3M or Gorilla would work. Also you could just use some silicone adhesive.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A friend of mine was all hot for the Krill 120cc Ultimate until I told him the aileron servos are held in with two sided tape. It's great for something small, but to use it in a $2200 airframe with 400oz servos seems a bit too much.:oblong:
Soooo.....this means the 120cc sized motor is held in place with red locktite? Personally I think it is lame to expect a 400'ish ounce servo to stay put with...um, tape? Really?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had told all you gents I would keep you all posted on the new 8000 mah packs now in the Behemoth 330.

In preparation of going flying tomorrow, I decided I would take the big 330 out again. I needed to put the first re-charge on the big 8000 mah 2s lipos. Wow, I am not sure I know what to make of this. With the original setup of two Fromeco 5200 rx. packs and one Fromeco 2600 ignition pack I was using approximately 1100 to 1250 mah's per pack for a good three flight session. Over and above that, I was using approximately 140 to 170 mah's from the ignition pack. For a total usage of between 2340 and 2670 mah's. Now with the new setup of drawing the ignition from the flight packs and with the same amount of flights for the same amount of "on" time, I used 1046 mah's from pack number one and 1102 mah's from pack number two. For a total of 2148 mah's. The difference between the two packs is a mere 56 mah's. Which is totally normal for the balancing switching the Smart-Fly board does to keep the batteries close to the same voltage and mah's used. I am very impressed with the efficientcy of the Lipo's. They are not only feeding the entire plane as the 5200's did, but also feeding the ignition as well. And less mah's were used. Guess there is a lot to be said for the muscle strength of the packs huh? At that rate, I could easily get six good long full flights (roughly 4296 mah's) and still be "WAY" above the safe cut off usage by almost 3/4th's battery capacities. I like....

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
A friend of mine was all hot for the Krill 120cc Ultimate until I told him the aileron servos are held in with two sided tape. It's great for something small, but to use it in a $2200 airframe with 400oz servos seems a bit too much.:oblong:
That plane I looked at one at JoeNall. The Chief tent had a couple on sale for a really good price. But after taking a good look a one I walked away and of the reason was mounting of the servos in the wing and the joining of the wing but I must say it one very good flying plane.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I had told all you gents I would keep you all posted on the new 8000 mah packs now in the Behemoth 330.

In preparation of going flying tomorrow, I decided I would take the big 330 out again. I needed to put the first re-charge on the big 8000 mah 2s lipos. Wow, I am not sure I know what to make of this. With the original setup of two Fromeco 5200 rx. packs and one Fromeco 2600 ignition pack I was using approximately 1100 to 1250 mah's per pack for a good three flight session. Over and above that, I was using approximately 140 to 170 mah's from the ignition pack. For a total usage of between 2340 and 2670 mah's. Now with the new setup of drawing the ignition from the flight packs and with the same amount of flights for the same amount of "on" time, I used 1046 mah's from pack number one and 1102 mah's from pack number two. For a total of 2148 mah's. The difference between the two packs is a mere 56 mah's. Which is totally normal for the balancing switching the Smart-Fly board does to keep the batteries close to the same voltage and mah's used. I am very impressed with the efficientcy of the Lipo's. They are not only feeding the entire plane as the 5200's did, but also feeding the ignition as well. And less mah's were used. Guess there is a lot to be said for the muscle strength of the packs huh? At that rate, I could easily get six good long full flights (roughly 4296 mah's) and still be "WAY" above the safe cut off usage by almost 3/4th's battery capacities. I like....
Are the new packs a higher voltage then that would explain the difference in consumption.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Are the new packs a higher voltage then that would explain the difference in consumption.
We'll see how they stack up and compare when they have as many years and cycles on them as the lithium ions that were in the 330. Remember, they came from Baby. Those batteries are 6 years old. And according to my records from when they were first installed brand new, there has been no deviation in charge Milliamps or voltage. The usage has remained the same. I think the reason why the lipos are showing to be more efficient is because they have a whopping 8,000 milliamps per battery. So therefore they don't have to work quite as hard as the 5200's. For me, the way that I have come to understand LiPO batteries versus lithium ion is this. They both have the same voltage. I envision the lithium ions as a circle track sprinter. And the lipos are a long distance runner. Both have the capability of doing the same job, however one is more adapt to going the distance with the strength over the other. Anyway, that's kind of the way I see it.