• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes I have used dope. It does help keep covering down. Apply just a couple of light coats. Balsa Right conditioner works equally well.
Thanks for that phoned the LHS for balsaright he said can no longer get it. But most people are using stixit instead. Thanks

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Played with the radio again tonight. Unfortunately all the data the AS3000 flight system displays only shows up when the Rx is powered up and any values recorded will only be shown "prior" to shutting off the Tx after a flight is performed. Most data like rate of climb, altitude and G-force is read in "Real Time" only and Max values recorded only. As a matter of fact the "Forward Programming" and "Gyro Gain Settings" menu feature's only show up on the Tx when the Rx is powered and bound to the Tx. Also the plane must be sitting on the ground or table in the correct position for the AS3000 to link. It did perform extremely well today when I went flying. The altimeter really surprised me. 400 feet is not very high at all and was easy (and quickly) to reach it at a climb rate of only 10fps. The G-force meter was neat too. Showed I pulled positive G's of 8.6, 3.8 and 11.2 respectively in the XYZ axis when doing pop tops. I think I like this system a bit more over the Aura 8. It allows a lot more room in "functionality" coinciding with the Tx and can be "hands off" flying making the fun factor even greater. In the "Stabilization" Mode it was a "more solid" feel to me over the Aura as well :).

SPMAS3000.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Played with the radio again tonight. Unfortunately all the data the AS3000 flight system displays only shows up when the Rx is powered up and any values recorded will only be shown "prior" to shutting off the Tx after a flight is performed. Most data like rate of climb, altitude and G-force is read in "Real Time" only and Max values recorded only. As a matter of fact the "Forward Programming" and "Gyro Gain Settings" menu feature's only show up on the Tx when the Rx is powered and bound to the Tx. Also the plane must be sitting on the ground or table in the correct position for the AS3000 to link. It did perform extremely well today when I went flying. The altimeter really surprised me. 400 feet is not very high at all and was easy (and quickly) to reach it at a climb rate of only 10fps. The G-force meter was neat too. Showed I pulled positive G's of 8.6, 3.8 and 11.2 respectively in the XYZ axis when doing pop tops. I think I like this system a bit more over the Aura 8. It allows a lot more room in "functionality" coinciding with the Tx and can be "hands off" flying making the fun factor even greater. In the "Stabilization" Mode it was a "more solid" feel to me over the Aura as well :).

View attachment 107635
Sounds like a nice little unit and not that expensive. Which radio do you fly it with.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Sounds like a nice little unit and not that expensive. Which radio do you fly it with.

The G2 DX-8. Best 8 channel radio I have ever had. You get a lot for a little. Me Like :).
Been thinking if I where to upgrade it would be the DX-9 for that 9th channel. Otherwise the two are pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The G2 DX-8. Best 8 channel radio I have ever had. You get a lot for a little. Me Like :).
Been thinking if I where to upgrade it would be the DX-9 for that 9th channel. Otherwise the two are pretty much the same.
Man I must agree my flying buddy has DX -9 it is great radio. I would have bought one a couple of years back but just not enough channels for me need minimum 12. Then they came out with the XI12 and I just do not like it. Want a radio not telephone in it, and what ever else.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This how the stabilizer looked this summer and it looked bad and colour match was bad, and every time I looked at it, it bugged me. So when I walked by the plane today and just cleaning up the stabilizer was just staring at me again so I just pulled the stabilizers off and removed all the covering.

5F3E710D-31DA-40F1-BBDB-4726823A3834.jpeg

So after a day this is what it looks like now, it will get some colour soon when I think of how I would like it to look.

4DE18AC1-C342-4ADE-A321-FA16C546790D.jpeg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Man I must agree my flying buddy has DX -9 it is great radio. I would have bought one a couple of years back but just not enough channels for me need minimum 12. Then they came out with the XI12 and I just do not like it. Want a radio not telephone in it, and what ever else.
That’s the reason I went with the DX18. Found a great deal on eBay about a year ago and jumped on it.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

Totally agree. If they would have made the IX a DX-12 I would have jumped all over it.