• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have some Boeing F4-B4 1/6 scale (60") plans from RCM that an old aircraft mechanic friend of mine and was basically a mentor for me beginning my A&P carrier as an aircraft mechanic. He gave the plans to me, saying it was his favorite plane and always wanted to build a model of it. He wasn't a huge RC modeler, maybe built a couple in his time. At any rate, after five years getting to know the guy he ended up taking his own life. PTSD from Vietnam, and a little trouble at home were suspects leading up to him leaving us tragically. Without going into too much detail, he was a very respected dude, and this was maybe ten years ago.

Fast forward to today. I retrieved the plans from my toolbox and started doing some research. Made a balsa/ply/wire list on BalsaUSA to see what I was dealing with... $160 for all of it minus the spars. More research concluded that this plane is very short coupled which concerns me. I'm a tail dragger for life, but the flight reports are marginal at best. I think it would be fun to build it in his honor, but I also have a feeling it wont fly much. I'm going to admit I've never done a scratch build before like this... really debating if it's worth it or not for this model.

Do any of you cut your own spars? This one is 3/8"X3/8" Sq Spruce. 2 @ 30", 2 @ 60". What options are out there...? Other than ordering online that is. Guessing some tight strait grain lumber of sorts. Now that I think about it, I bet I could find some scrap super cub/champ scrap spar material here on the airfield and take the table saw to them....

Here are the plans I found online:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6510
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31179341&postcount=3622

Alky6

150cc
With all the "Electric Buzz" going around my half witted mind came up with a new Idea for a gasser....:ooh?:.

With Pilots new "Quick Release" Canopy system I decided to go "Switchless" o_O.

I made a removeable flight control board and "bused" power to "everything". Two 2S 2000mah Lipo's will get mounted under the rudder servo tray (One to the left of and one to right of rudder servo). All servos and ignition power simply plug in to it. To power up for a flight simply plug in the two batteries. When finished with a flight release the canopy and unplug the batteries. Like an "electric" :D.

View attachment 108273 View attachment 108274 View attachment 108276 View attachment 108277
Dimes, where did you find the bulkhead fittings for the batt connections? Very, very clean setup!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The "switchless" flight system is coming along nicely. Got the batteries where I want them. The leads from the batteries were a bit short so last night I made a pair of short block extensions from male and female XT60 connectors. Very easy to get at and grip to unplug.

GOPR0400.JPG
GOPR0401.JPG
GOPR0402.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick
That build will keep you busy for a couple days. Looks like real building weather, we just got 12 inches on Sunday and it is right now -4 degrees Fahrenheit. Let’s say we are going flying today.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Got my new Multiplex FunRay all programmed up last night. I did some initial flying on Saturday with it setup like a conventional airplane, but gliders need more specific programming to take advantage of lift conditions out on the slope. So I programmed in my thermal and speed settings, as well as full length ailerons, and landing mixes last night. Can't wait to get it back out on the slope on a good day and see what it can really do :)

50299904_10219353029723404_3883434331540029440_o.jpg