• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

emtp275

100cc
Finally got the radio, trim, expo, etc done!:D Fueled up the DL 50 and did about 8 flips and it barked to life. Took off the choke, 3 flips and she came to life!:woohoo!: About a half turn rich on the high speed and I am getting 6,900 rpm on the top end and a little lean on the low end and getting 1,600 on the idle. Very happy! Plan to taxi test on Thursday if the weather cooperates and if I can get out of work in the late PM.:ninja::LOL_gif:
Im hopping to have the 91 yak ready for maiden Sunday if the weather is good for it, We gona make a dbl maiden day?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My Pilot Edge has been developing a rattle that I couldn't track down. It sounded like the hatch, which has been an issue in the past when the carbon tube pins wear, but ever since I added the fuzzy side of some Velcro to the fuse where the hatch rests to keep it taut that hasn't been a problem. The cowl bolts weren't loose and the cowl felt secure. I was beginning to think the can mount was coming loose.

Last night I pulled off the cowl and found that the lower cowl mount on the right side had come unglued and was loose in it's slot. I cut away as much glue as I could get to, and ended up having to do a little damage to one side of the bulkhead to get it out. I epoxied it back in with some milled fiberglass in the epoxy. Hopefully it will stay put. While I was at it I wicked some thin CA in the other side and added some milled glass for strength.

Attachments

• 20150811_205332_resized.jpg
    20150811_205332_resized.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 20150811_205349_resized.jpg
    20150811_205349_resized.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 245

BalsaDust

And what did Dennis say about bringing it back? I would jump on the chance to buy a new Carden Cap. I built a 35% several years ago. Would love to have another.

He said there was no imediate plans to bring it back and then asked me if I thought the interest was there for it. I told him I thought there was.

My Pilot Edge has been developing a rattle that I couldn't track down. It sounded like the hatch, which has been an issue in the past when the carbon tube pins wear, but ever since I added the fuzzy side of some Velcro to the fuse where the hatch rests to keep it taut that hasn't been a problem. The cowl bolts weren't loose and the cowl felt secure. I was beginning to think the can mount was coming loose.

Last night I pulled off the cowl and found that the lower cowl mount on the right side had come unglued and was loose in it's slot. I cut away as much glue as I could get to, and ended up having to do a little damage to one side of the bulkhead to get it out. I epoxied it back in with some milled fiberglass in the epoxy. Hopefully it will stay put. While I was at it I wicked some thin CA in the other side and added some milled glass for strength.
Thanks for the heads up. When I start the assembly on my 540 I'll double check those mounts for any mods.:way_to_go:

BalsaDust

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Decided since my first gasser will hit the air this Sunday I needed a propper fuel jug. Took one of my 1 gallon cans and made my own stopper to go under the cap. Even machined a nice grove for the oring to rest in. Once I get home in the morning I will drill the center hole out and tap it to fit one of my brass bulkhead fittings I have on hand.
Also ordered a cheap electric pump from hobby king to try out. Only $7 so what the hell. As soon as it comes in I will fab up a nice little holder for it and a lipo for the side of the tank.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the heads up. When I start the assembly on my 540 I'll double check those mounts for any mods.:way_to_go:
Mine lasted over 2 years before it got loose. My slow and low 3D sucks, so I make up for that by flying it fast and hard.;) I'm not kind to it, and this is the first little issue I've had other than bad axles.

Well there was the time the clear tape that DA uses to hold the ignition box together split and the main part of the ignition slid out of the Velcro strap on the Secraft mount and ended up on the header. :omg: