• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Re-maddened the Grasshopper and the 41" Edge today. Both are still in one piece!:)

I was hoping to fly them off asphalt this weekend but that didn't happen. They were having a car show and fundraiser at the fair grounds where I wanted to fly. So I took them over to our local flying spot. The grass was pretty tall for these little guys but I managed to get them in the air and back down again in one piece. Between the tall grass, heat and wind I only flew one pack through each.

On the Grasshopper I decided to leave the travel as is and I cranked up the expo from 20% to 50%. That helped out a bunch. It was actually manageable even with the gusty winds.

On the 41" Edge the re-work on the landing gear helped a bunch. Even in the tall grass it was a lot more stable and less prone to nose over.

I need to wait for some better weather before I take out the Grasshopper again. It still needs some trimming and maybe a CG adjustment. Hard to tell in the wind today. And it's way way over powered that's for sure. It cruises at 1/4 throttle.:p

Last edited:
View attachment 35899 View attachment 35900 View attachment 35901 View attachment 35902 View attachment 35903 View attachment 35904 View attachment 35905

Carden 30% Cap232 pretty much RTF. Picked it up in a trade with @wecoyote Still need to final balance it but other than that it's ready to go. Initial check of the balance shows without my flight batteries in its slightly tail heavy but I expected that. I'm running a dle 55 whereas tom was running a evo58 which is much heavier. What I found the evo is 64oz without ignition and muffler and the dle is 53.9 with ignition and muffler so figure once you bolt those items on and the slightly larger prop the evo could turn I prolly knocked 12oz off the nose. If all else fails and I need more wieght up front I will be moving the rudder servo forward and turning it into a pull pull setup over the push pull it has now.
Will try to get a weight of the plane this afternoon once I wake up from my nap.
Love that Ruger scheme .:first_place:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I just weighed the Carden Cap. I'm really happy as it came in at 18lbs even minus fuel. I feel the DLE55 should pull it around very well and should give me some pullout out of a hover.

that sounds perfect, it ought to be a lot of fun to fly.

Re-maddened the Grasshopper and the 41" Edge today. Both are still in one piece!:)

I was hoping to fly them off asphalt this weekend but that didn't happen. They were having a car show and fundraiser at the fair grounds where I wanted to fly. So I took them over to our local flying spot. The grass was pretty tall for these little guys but I managed to get them in the air and back down again in one piece. Between the tall grass, heat and wind I only flew one pack through each.

On the Grasshopper I decided to leave the travel as is and I cranked up the expo from 20% to 50%. That helped out a bunch. It was actually manageable even with the gusty winds.

On the 41" Edge the re-work on the landing gear helped a bunch. Even in the tall grass it was a lot more stable and less prone to nose over.

I need to wait for some better weather before I take out the Grasshopper again. It still needs some trimming and maybe a CG adjustment. Hard to tell in the wind today. And it's way way over powered that's for sure. It cruises at 1/4 throttle.:p
Get some pics of that Grasshopper in the air! Love a warbird in any form.:fist_pump:I have an old GP 1/4 scale cub that I am contemplating converting to the Grasshopper. Need a new cowl in that I am going with a different powerplant, probably a Magnum 70 (Yep, I know, "a slimer eeewww").:LOL_gif:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Get some pics of that Grasshopper in the air! Love a warbird in any form.:fist_pump:I have an old GP 1/4 scale cub that I am contemplating converting to the Grasshopper. Need a new cowl in that I am going with a different powerplant, probably a Magnum 70 (Yep, I know, "a slimer eeewww").:LOL_gif:
Do it! :way_to_go:

Now that I have my L4 Grasshopper, I'm kinda wanting a L-19 Bird Dog in the Red and White Army scheme.:D

I'll see what I can do about those action shots.;)

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Squeezed in a little shop time this evening. The Crack Laser is starting to resemble an airplane.

image.jpg