• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Rusty 73

100cc
Have not looked at the kit or the structure that closely jet it probably is built pretty heavy with a lot of balsa blocks. One thing I did notice is that there is very little light ply but a lot of hard wood sticks. I have one of the newer Da100 but it is in a nice plane and not going to pull it out will most likely get another engine . The 100 you have has a pretty low serial #. And yes I do agree they are smooth do not own a 120 but from what I have read they are pretty hard on a plane but are powerful. Maybe be that this is an older type plane it can tolerate the abuse the 120 dishes out, but I do like the smoothness of the 100 and how easy it is to live with.

Yes the 120 isn't as smooth as the 1 and my dad old Extra would easly put up with the extra vibration . The plywood has become alot better than the stuff that was used nearly 20 years ago . Does 100's are sought after , especial the earlier one that what the DA tech's were saying .

Rusty 73

100cc
Jetpainter does the industry still use the same paint stripper from decades ago . The place I worked at used this yellow stuff that would burn your skin if left on too long and was more like a paste so it was brushed or rolled on the paint . I have never see a chemical attack and pull all the paint and prime off an aircraft , like shedding a skin .

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Jetpainter does the industry still use the same paint stripper from decades ago . The place I worked at used this yellow stuff that would burn your skin if left on too long and was more like a paste so it was brushed or rolled on the paint . I have never see a chemical attack and pull all the paint and prime off an aircraft , like shedding a skin .
I'm not sure what they can use on an airplane now days, but in the automotive world you can still buy "Aircraft" Paint Remover, and if you get it on your skin, you will know it.:(

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice. Do a build thread as I would love to learn more about stits and painting since I just picked up a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Nieuport 17 kit to build at some point.

That’s a nice kit big plane and yes that is not a plane you put Ultracote on.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes the 120 isn't as smooth as the 1 and my dad old Extra would easly put up with the extra vibration . The plywood has become alot better than the stuff that was used nearly 20 years ago . Does 100's are sought after , especial the earlier one that what the DA tech's were saying .
Are you still flying your dads 100 it would a waste if it just sitting in a box.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Don't know what DA120's you've ran, but the 2 I've owned, and all the ones on my buddies airplanes, are just as sooth as any other 120cc class engine.

Airframe has a LOT to do with how smoothly the engine 'feels'. Even things like exhaust setup, or how the engine is mounted, or even the propeller can affect it. It's not as cut and dry as, 'Oh the DA120 is a rough engine'.