• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is soooo not good!

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Hi Stang have you tried using 32-12 prop?
I think it will make your engine work much smoother and quieter but much faster on up lines and slower on down lines.
Your engine is up to it from what Ive seen here.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hi Stang have you tried using 32-12 prop?
I think it will make your engine work much smoother and quieter but much faster on up lines and slower on down lines.
Your engine is up to it from what Ive seen here.
Hey Taz. Not yet. Only had one initial maiden on the 3W 3d prop. It obviously is not enough prop for the motor. Unless I were to keep it to slow 3d only. It spools nicely, but literally shreds it at higher rpm. I did get the the 32x11 Falcon on it today and did some testing with it. It is twisting 5900 static, so I am thinking it will do really good in the air. Not really sure about the down line braking, but will find that out on Friday as that is the next scheduled time I will be going flying. I am very excited to see the difference already. The motor is much smoother and has zero issues spinning that Falcon.

32X11W is what I use for no wind days and a 30X14 on windy days. RPM readings mean absolutely nothing to me but rather all about what it does for my style of IMAC type flying. Have to remember,,, 3W's like pitch because they have the "grunt" to do it. Once you get the needles just past that rich side of things and its clean sounding,,, Leave it alone. Again, figure around that 15 gallon mark for when it starts to come into its own and don t go screaming it hard until then.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
32X11W is what I use for no wind days and a 30X14 on windy days. RPM readings mean absolutely nothing to me but rather all about what it does for my style of IMAC type flying. Have to remember,,, 3W's like pitch because they have the "grunt" to do it. Once you get the needles just past that rich side of things and its clean sounding,,, Leave it alone. Again, figure around that 15 gallon mark for when it starts to come into its own and don t go screaming it hard until then.
Good thing to remember on the 3dubs. Mine is running great. This GP 176 is a completely different animal. As much as I love my 157, this GP 176 will chew that motor up and spit it out in miniature pieces.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Hi Bill

Why on windy days, you prefer a small diameter prop with high pitch ?
And what is the difference in RPM between the regular prop you are using and the WINDY one ?
Doesn't it changes the plane flying characteristics ?

I use only 32-12 on both reg day and windy, and I'm talking about 25 kt...

Thanks
Adi

Hi Bill

Why on windy days, you prefer a small diameter prop with high pitch ?
And what is the difference in RPM between the regular prop you are using and the WINDY one ?

I use only 32-12 on both reg day and windy, and I'm talking about 25 kt...

Thanks
Adi
Adi, first, ground or inflight RPM monitoring or readings, means absolutely nothing,,, to me. I prefer to listen to the engine while inflight as to what or how I need to tweek on the needles. If my plane is performing like I want it to, then my engine is doing what it needs to be doing. No 2 days are the same therefor the engine might or will act different from day to day.

On windy days, note how your plane acts going down wind and then pull to a vertical line while using your 32x12 prop. it acts like its going to stall and or it only goes so high and stops. With the smaller dia prop and larger pitch you'll gain that little bit of extra thrust needed to hold a straight line as the wind tries to push you away and you continue to go just as high as you would going into the wind,,, almost. I know there's an aerodynamic answer to this that somebody might be able to answer better than me.

Yes! landing speeds are faster on non-windy days, you'll lose a bit of braking, engine idle is faster, WOT flying is faster, down lines and most manuevers as well.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've seen a lot of engine setups... but nothing as gnarly as a GP176 with ProFlow smoothies... It hardly notices a 42lb airplane it seems..
The term "Rag Doll" is an understatement. As nice as the DLE 111 with Bowmans is in the PAU, I am very seriously considering a GP123 swap out. Dave tells me, "if you think the 176 is awesome, just wait till you see a 123". "It is a pure "ANIMAL". Oh baby...I feel a purchase coming on. LOL

Only other reason I can see on breaking prop bolts is them loosening up in flight, ie not tight enough.

On my 106 engines, I have not run wood prop carbon spinner combo. I only have run the carbon carbon combo. But if a wood prop carbon backplate works on a 150 and up engine, I dont see why it wouldnt work on a 111. Hell, my DA 120 is a carbon carbon combo. And it works just fine.

Up to 150cc engines..... my theory is you are safe with carbon backplates on any type of prop. And the same with aluminum backplates.

Over 150cc engines......... Wood prop carbon backplate is ok. Wood prop aluminum backplate is ok. Carbon carbon is NOT ok. Carbon prop aluminum backplate is ok.

*I posted before I could finish typing.*

Hi Bunky,

what are your thoughts or experience of using (when using the bolts on the prop hub washer)
1. the 6 bolts with no washer between bolt and the hub washer
prop bolt.jpg

2. a washer between the bolt and hub washer

flat washer.jpeg

3. bolt, lock washer, flat washer, the the hub washer

lock washer.jpeg

which is best
which should be avoided?