• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Throttle servo?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Don't beat me up! MiBl 70960 HK. Has been on my 30% and 35% going on 4 years. No issues. Throttle response, resolution and feel is exceptional. Not cheap for a China servo...About $90.00

Attachments

• MiBl.jpg
    MiBl.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 257
I also like overkill on my throttles. I use the Hitec coreless MG 7985. 172 oz. A long time ago I had a 5625 mini digital fail on me on a giant scale plane and I went overkill ever since. Funny how real experiences will make you a believer.

I had the same servo fail on my throttle a long time ago also. I ended up looking on line for similar failures and found several with those servo's. Since then I stay with very good servo's for throttle.

Don't beat me up! MiBl 70960 HK. Has been on my 30% and 35% going on 4 years. No issues. Throttle response, resolution and feel is exceptional. Not cheap for a China servo...About $90.00

I am curious and not trying to start conflict but for $90 why did you not go with a more main stream servo?

Bemeson

50cc
Savox 1257TG for not HV systems and 1267SG for all HV systems. Super tough,very reliable, and smooth

Brian

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
Lmfao.

Hey that's me when I go incognito. I bring my foamie and pull out my dx18.

I know that feeling, I just got a new Jeti ds16 red racer edition #9 and the first thing I setup on it was my twisted hobbies Clik ! lol

I run Savox 1233 on my throttle on all planes.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I am curious and not trying to start conflict but for $90 why did you not go with a more main stream servo?

The only reason was to investigate a high quality option for a more reasonable price. Yes it has a HK stamp but it has performance and quality equal to high dollar name brands. China is getting really good at quality. I have always scrutinized value with any brand and my personal opinion is that 250 dollar servos do not add up for what you pay.
I have been flying the BLUE BIRD brand on flight surfaces on 25%, 30%, 35% models now going on 4 years and they to are holding up quite well. I had problems with HV servos at first with the MKS 777(potentiometer issues/jitter). They were coreless and both the HK and BB's are brushless. Metal Hybrid and Ti gears. excellent centering and very quiet. Tells me they are not putting a huge drain on my flight packs. Best of all they are all "standard size" servos so fitting ARF cut outs is not an issue.
The local Futaba rep flew my 104 with the Blue Bird BLS 3114 and stated " nice set up and servos" "they fly very nice" . It also has the HK 70960 controlling the DA 120. He also said how responsive and easy it was to control the engine speed at all times.
Just so you know I was a die hard Futaba 9157 flyer but I could not take advantage of HV with them. Futaba's BLS series Just did not impress me for the money. Not trying to fanboy the HK or BB servos just saying there is a valued performance alternative in the hi-tech hi voltage servo arena if you are willing to look and then decide for yourself. Lot's of good and bad choices out there with any brand.

The only reason was to investigate a high quality option for a more reasonable price. Yes it has a HK stamp but it has performance and quality equal to high dollar name brands. China is getting really good at quality. I have always scrutinized value with any brand and my personal opinion is that 250 dollar servos do not add up for what you pay.
I have been flying the BLUE BIRD brand on flight surfaces on 25%, 30%, 35% models now going on 4 years and they to are holding up quite well. I had problems with HV servos at first with the MKS 777(potentiometer issues/jitter). They were coreless and both the HK and BB's are brushless. Metal Hybrid and Ti gears. excellent centering and very quiet. Tells me they are not putting a huge drain on my flight packs. Best of all they are all "standard size" servos so fitting ARF cut outs is not an issue.
The local Futaba rep flew my 104 with the Blue Bird BLS 3114 and stated " nice set up and servos" "they fly very nice" . It also has the HK 70960 controlling the DA 120. He also said how responsive and easy it was to control the engine speed at all times.
Just so you know I was a die hard Futaba 9157 flyer but I could not take advantage of HV with them. Futaba's BLS series Just did not impress me for the money. Not trying to fanboy the HK or BB servos just saying there is a valued performance alternative in the hi-tech hi voltage servo arena if you are willing to look and then decide for yourself. Lot's of good and bad choices out there with any brand.

Between the specs and your experience it looks like you get a lot of value at a reasonable cost. I do agree when it comes to a large airplane it does get rather pricey installing 9 or more $200.00 servo's.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
I have been a fan of using a very good servo on throttle. On my Sukhoi I use a JR8911 for throttle. Not really for the torque or speed but mostly because it is HV and when you get into HV there is little difference in price on servo's to make that much difference. Plus for the minimal extra cost of a good throttle servo I feel it is the best way to go about it in the long run. I would hate to be out of town at a contest to only not be able to fly because I cheaped out on throttle servo. I was looking at some cheaper HV servo's with nylon gears but that really worried me so I am sticking with metal. But I cannot say if nylon would be good or bad due to lack of experience on nylon gears and gas throttle.

I've been running the JR8911's since they were released and really like them. I had them in my 3.1m Sukhoi and Dalton Extra 300ML. DA15o in the suk, and da200 in the dalton... 500 or so flights on the Dalton and 350 or so on the suk.

For throttle, I'm using the JR821HV with no issues and would highly recommend them.

I've been running the JR8911's since they were released and really like them. I had them in my 3.1m Sukhoi and Dalton Extra 300ML. DA15o in the suk, and da200 in the dalton... 500 or so flights on the Dalton and 350 or so on the suk.

For throttle, I'm using the JR821HV with no issues and would highly recommend them.
I have looked at that servo for throttle in the past. The low price and HV is a very nice feature but I always worried about nylon gears in a shaky twin like the DA170. So that is why I went with the 8911. If I had a quad or a smoother twin I would have been more comfortable with a nylon geared servo.

Extrabig

New to GSN!
I also agree with using a good throttle servo. After reading all this I now have second thoughts what I've been using in all my big planes for many years. I wasn't thinking cheap but always looked to subtract a little weight in all my components as it adds up overall. I've had zero failures with the Hitec HS 5245 digital mini @ 1 oz. weight. So with a new 120 cc size Extra on its way, I think it's best to pony up to something more failure proof so I sleep better. I do run A123 batts. so HV servo not necessary. I appreciate all this info.