• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Top Flite P-40 Build Thread

Charles

70cc twin V2
20141030_224753_resized.jpg20141030_224734_resized.jpg20141030_225043_resized.jpgAttached the vertical stabalizer to the horozintal stabalixer last night and epoxyed the tail to the fuselage tonight used an epoxy sawdust mix to fill the gap where the vertical stabilizer meets the body and will use Hobby lite filler to finish fairing the body into the tail.20141030_224147_resized.jpg20141030_224845_resized.jpg20141030_224832_resized.jpgIm now at the point that I am going to have the install the tailwheel retract before i can put in the belly sheeting. Have decided to go ahead and use a Robart #121 Tailwheel retract and use a Robart 161 air cylinder to actuate it that is coupled to the main retract air system.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
+1 I agree it's looking great! Man you have patience and to be totally honest if I had to build my planes from kit (if their was no other option) I would not be flying today. I just don't have that kind of time. If I didn't have kids then yes I could and would. My point... Thank God for ARF's!

Charles

70cc twin V2
Since I plan to paint the plane I am going to cover it with fiberglass so I will do the wing while waiting on the tailwheel. Im going to use 3/4oz cloth and Zpoxy.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Looking good!

Curious, know the CS you're going to paint those white pieces? Since I'm going to cover in Monokote, I'll have to paint mine before gluing them in. In my searching the webs I see the following options:
1. Grey
2. Olive drab
3. Tan
4. Multicolor of olive drab and tan to follow the camo pattern.

I haven't decided, single color option would be easiest, but I don't want mine to mimic the looks of the ARF with the grey. I'm leaning towards following the camo pattern.

Charles

70cc twin V2
The white pieces you are refering to are white filler that i used to fair in the tail with. I'm going to cover everything with 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth then paint on top of that. The only Monocote I'm going to use is on the rudder, elevator and alerons and I'm just going to use a white then paint over it. I'm still toying with the color scheme and have been watching some old doc films on the Flying Tigers and other P-40 old films to settle on the final choice. Im still a long way from painting as i still have a bunch of construction work to do and fit the engine and build out the front of the plane .

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
The white pieces you are refering to are white filler that i used to fair in the tail with. I'm going to cover everything with 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth then paint on top of that. The only Monocote I'm going to use is on the rudder, elevator and alerons and I'm just going to use a white then paint over it. I'm still toying with the color scheme and have been watching some old doc films on the Flying Tigers and other P-40 old films to settle on the final choice. Im still a long way from painting as i still have a bunch of construction work to do and fit the engine and build out the front of the plane .

Sorry, I was on a mobile device with a little one in my other arm when I typed this. I was referring to the plastic pieces behind the cockpit.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Oh ok I am thinking because they are so flimsey covering them with glass also along with all of the plastic pieces in the nose and the covers for the rearactable landing gear. Do you know if fiberglass can be applied to these flimsey plastic parts?

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
It can be done. On my Great Planes Extra 300 kit, the original plastic cowl was 2 pieces, put together with fiberglass cloth down the seem on the inside and the screw holes were reinforced similarly.

Given the curvature of these pieces, getting a flat application will be tricky and sanding with be a bit tough.