• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Top Flite P-40 Build Thread

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
The grain pattern is also shown on the plans.

Yes pretty much instantly. But wetting the balsa allows for it to curve. The key is to get it damp, not too wet.

Charles

70cc twin V2
I noticed that in the instruction book. I'm going to make the templates tonight then sheet the stabalizer tomorrow. I was only able to get thin and thick CA so will use the thick CA to attach the sheeting since the chances of it running are less.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I wouldn't worry about running as CA can be sanded off, the benefit of thick CA is having a little more working time. Even with being damp, if you don't get the balsa on the glue, you can wiggle it as needed.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Thanks I have the skins made and sanded and will glue on in the morning. I got side tracked today. A friend came over and we had a few then went and looked at plane he had found in a garage sale.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Well I got the top of the stabalizer skinned today and it has only been 58 years since I've don this. All i have to say is you have to work a lot quicker than you do with the old testors cement. Anybody let me know if there is something you see wrong with this. On to shaping the bottom and skinnong it. 2014-08-09 22.45.51.jpg2014-08-10 14.01.06.jpg2014-08-10 14.01.14.jpg2014-08-10 14.33.27.jpg2014-08-10 14.33.43.jpg2014-08-10 14.39.15.jpg2014-08-10 14.40.27.jpg2014-08-10 14.40.48.jpg

Charles

70cc twin V2
2014-08-10 14.01.06.jpgI sanded the overhang off? Tapering it into the leading edge. I also sanded the trailing edge squaring it flush with the trailing edge. I was trying to get is as close as possible to the cross section in the plans. Did i mess up? It had about 1/8 inch overhang when I started.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Nope. That's fine. It has to be dive at some point. I can't remember if I sanded them I individually or at once.

Before you put the other side sheeting on, double check your glue joints so you know at least one side is truly secure.

And in the other side, don't be shy on the amount of thick CA you run on the ribs, to ensure there's glue on the joint.

If you don't like the quick working time of CA, I've heard others use Elmer's wood glue, down side is it's much heavier.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Actually I do. I just have to get used to it. I remember have to taping the sheeting down until the glue dried.