• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Top Flite P-40 Build Thread

Hi I am glad you didn't give up. I bet it took a lot of work to get this far. Good luck. I will be worth it when it fly's.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Just got the pull pull system in for the tailwheel and the tubing to connect the air cylinder Once I get that in I can sheet the bottom of the fuselage. I can then mount the engine and build the front of the fuselage, I already have the aluminum stand offs to mount the RCV engine 1 1/2 inches from the firewall to get the engine prop thrust plate 6 1//4 inches from the firewall so I can build the fuselage around the engine. I have the factory backing mounting plate so I am going to rethread it to match the standoffs then mount the plate on the back of the firewall then screw the screws through it and through the firewall and then screw the standoffs onto the screws on the front side of the firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles

70cc twin V2
P-40 build backing plate.jpgCold outside so just worked a little on it shop is cold. assembled the motormount for the RCV using 1 1/2 in standoffs so I will have 6 i/4 inches between rthe firewall and the thrust plate. Used the plate supplied with the engine for the backing plate and had to drill the engine and the plate to accept the 10x32 screws the standoffs require.P=40 build.jpg

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
You just don't see very many RCV engines around here. The rotary designs have always intrigued me but I have never had a chance to see one run. I had an older one that was mounted on a display that I picked up years ago... Not sure what I did with it. Hmmmmm...

Charles

70cc twin V2
It isnt a rotary design it is actually a standard 4 stroke design with a rotary valve. The piston and crankshaft are horozontal and drive a standard crankshaft that drives the rotary valve which doubles as the cylinder the piston operates in the cylinder and the rotery valve also doubles as the properller shaft and because the crank pinion gear to the cylinder has a 2 to 1 rario the prop operates at 1/2 the speed of the crank so you can turn a bigger prop. neat uh. here is a link to RCV http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv_modelhome.htm

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Ahhh found this video! Very cool.

[video=youtube;rCChLocCp_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCChLocCp_g[/video]