• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Twisted Hobbies Mini MXS-C

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I snipped 1 end of each of the cf rods at a 45* angle. That will make it sit flush in the h-fuse. To assemble, the 2 cf pieces cross through the v-fuse and go into small slots in the h- fuse. The white spacer goes into the v-fuse where the cf crosses. I put dabs of welders into the small holes in the h-fuse and assembled the landing gear. Then I put welders into the spot where the cf crosses and the spacer is. Make sure all parts have glue on them. Let that dry for a bit. Next the white discs go on the ends of the cf. There will be a little of the cf sticking through the discs. Make sure they are straight. Next the wheel/pant assembly is glued onto the discs. Make sure the crossing of the cf pieces happens at what will be the lowest part of the opening so there is clearance for the aileron servo arm. I also glued the tail skid on now. I made sure it bridges the joint between the v-fuse and the rudder.

S5 pictures 511.jpg
S5 pictures 512.jpg
S5 pictures 514.jpg
S5 pictures 515.jpg
S5 pictures 516.jpg
Christmas 2014 205.JPG

Last edited:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Next is to insert the servos. After that, glue the top of the V-fuse into place. Make sure you put welders into the holes this time so the top and bottom pieces of the v-fuse are joined together also. I put a small amount of glue on each of the servo mounting tabs on the edge of the fuse.

S5 pictures 518.jpg
S5 pictures 519.jpg
S5 pictures 525.jpg
S5 pictures 526.jpg

Last edited:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Next is to add the motor mount. I use welders and blenderm for this. Apply welders to the entire surface. Wrap blenderm around each arm and stick to the fuse. I smear a little welders over the blenderm and also put a small amount in each corner where the fuse meets the mount.

S5 pictures 529.jpg
S5 pictures 530.jpg
S5 pictures 531.jpg
S5 pictures 532.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I like to put the motor on before the welders has fully dried. That way the welders holds onto the screws also and they are good and solid. Simply screw the motor into place. Make sure the wires are in the correct spot for where you are going to mount your ESC. Install the esc with some 2 sided tape. I put my esc on the opposite side of my RX and ran the throttle wire through the fuse.

S5 pictures 533.jpg
S5 pictures 534.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Next I assembled the aileron control horn and pushrods. For the control horn, the extender goes on the bottom of the double horn that is included with the servo. Use CA to attach the 2 pieces and then wrap some string around and apply a little ca to the string. This makes a very strong connection. The control rods are a bit touchy. I put a little ca blob on my parchment paper. I dipped the cf rod in the ca to get a very small amount on the end. Then I put the end of the rod into the snap connector. When the rod and connector come together you can see the ca wick along the entire connector. Once the ca has dried enough to hold the connector on, I use the included heat shrink and shrink it on the end. Be very careful when shrinking as you are very close to the snap connector and the plastic could melt or deform. You will need 2 short pushrods for the ailerons, and 2 long ones for the elevator and rudder.

S5 pictures 520.jpg
S5 pictures 521.jpg
S5 pictures 522.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The aileron control horn gets installed now. Make sure the arm angles toward the front of the plane and not the rear. The pushrods go on next. Simply slip the rod through the quick connects on the control horn and snap them into place on the aileron control horn. Line up the aileron and screw in the screw on the quick connect. Use only light pressure so you don't crush the cf rod.

S5 pictures 538.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
For the elevator and rudder control rods, there are guides that need to be installed. Cut out 5 guides for each rod and slip the rod through them. Put a small dab of welders in each hole. I started on the servo end and slipped the rod into the quick connect on the servo arm and then put the guides into the holes and snapped the connector into the control horn. Once that is dry go ahead line up the control surface and tighten the quick connect. Again, don't tighten them too much or the CF could be crushed. Once everything is installed, I trim the excess off of the rods and apply a little welders where the control rod comes out of the quick connect and up onto the screw itself. That just insures that if the screw won't come loose and the control rod won't slip in the connector.

S5 pictures 535.jpg
S5 pictures 536.jpg
S5 pictures 537.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I put my RX on with double sided tape in a spot that works out with the wiring. I put a small dab of welders in the corner of the fuse and attach the wires to keep them in place.

S5 pictures 538.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The final step is to balance it. The suggested CG is 5/8 to 7/8 back from the wing spar. I decided to set it at 3/4". I like to poke a toothpick through the fuse at this point. Then you can lightly grab the toothpick and set your battery where it needs to go. Mine ended up right on the wing spar. I cut a hole that is smaller than the battery and it slides through and is held in place by the pressure of the foam. I am running 2S 300mAh nano-tech batteries.

Christmas 2014 200.JPG
Christmas 2014 201.JPG
Christmas 2014 202.JPG

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
That's it. I hope to get a chance to test fly it soon. I have heard great things about this one and hope it lives up to the hype.

Christmas 2014 206.JPG