• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

I'm sure they had more than 3 of each, and should restock quickly.

Gyro, the Omega130 with a 14 X 7 prop has been a great choice in both the Edge & the slick, quite a few guys using it. The most popular choice has been the Sunny Sky 2820-920KV with a 14 X 7 prop. Makes just a little more power on the watt meter, has high quality bearings installed , and is nice & quiet. Guess the real plus is it's only $35.95 + shipping from EP Buddy. A few guys tried the 2820 - 800 KV, with a 13 X 6.5 prop and liked that set up also.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm sure they had more than 3 of each, and should restock quickly.

Gyro, the Omega130 with a 14 X 7 prop has been a great choice in both the Edge & the slick, quite a few guys using it. The most popular choice has been the Sunny Sky 2820-920KV with a 14 X 7 prop. Makes just a little more power on the watt meter, has high quality bearings installed , and is nice & quiet. Guess the real plus is it's only $35.95 + shipping from EP Buddy. A few guys tried the 2820 - 800 KV, with a 13 X 6.5 prop and liked that set up also.

I've used the sunny sky motors in the past as well, really like shoppig with Dale at epbuddy.

What servos are most using?

Some guys went Hitec...some went with the new power digitals that EP Buddy had.....seems more went with the Solar 654's
http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html

34.75 oz's of torque @ 6.0 volts, .10 sec. to 60*...super strong and quiet.
Recommend removing the bottom cover of the servo and making sure the foam pad is under the motor completely so it can't move down inside the case. Good centering on these servos also, very little sub trim needed ( only on the rudder servo for me, all others the arms set @ 90* with no trim ).

helicow

30cc
One bit of info on both the Slick and the Edge. the one negative on both planes so far seems to be the landing gear mount. Seems the nylon bolts they chose are either too small, or too brittle....

I changed mine (edge) out to use 5mm nylon bolts and have had no issues since. 4mm was way to small and I though Max said SkyWing was now using the 5mm nylon bolts. I do not know what they used on the slick but I would have thought the 5mm.

I have used both the Hengli that Max sells and the SunnySky 2820/920kv from EPbuddy. I ran 14 x 7 Xoar props and like them both.

Bob

The supplied nylon wing bolts with the slick are 5MM...but some guys are still having problems with them breaking. Like I said, I haven't flown mine yet so couldn't tell you first hand. I know that some guys complain about the landing gear on the 3DHS 1.5 huck bending too often, I have my wheel pants and side trim pieces installed and have no problems, harrier land most of the time on pavement. I guess it has to do with where and how you fly.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for the pointers about the LG bolts. I'll look into that.
I tried some small solars digitals late last year, and was unimpressed. Poor centering and low torque.

Will probably throw in the Omega 130g, as I have one available.