• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion What's a good first balsa plane?

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Well I was leaning between the 42 slick and 3dhs 48 edge and went with the edge. Have not flown it yet but hoping Sunday afternoon after we return home from holiday travels.

wedoitall

if i had a balsa i could fly today. to windy for my TH edge. will get one soon, prolly woulda this week but both of my girls birthdays are this week. looking really hard at the 51 AJ slick, and the 3dhs 48 edge and EF edge are still in the mix.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
go for the 51'' slick, it handles the wind great. It has to be the best flying plane I have. At least the ones i have flown, I am weight for a 57 extra to get here so that might take number one:D.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

go for the 51'' slick, it handles the wind great. It has to be the best flying plane I have. At least the ones i have flown, I am weight for a 57 extra to get here so that might take number one:D.

If the cost of the first plane is no factor, the 51" Slick is great... But the 48" Edge is a much less expensive first airplane :)

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

51 Slick or 58 Edge? I love Edges!!! But the Slick is... Well.... A Slick. I love my Buck Huck.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
If the cost of the first plane is no factor, the 51" Slick is great... But the 48" Edge is a much less expensive first airplane :)

the 48'' edge is not the best plane, you would be better off with the 47 extra. The edge has to be the only plane from 3dhs I am not pleased with.

njswede

150cc
You all knew I was going to say this sooner or later, so here it comes: The ValueHobby Sabre X is a nicely priced plane if you're looking for a 50"-something 3D trainer. It's extremely forgiving and a purring little pussycat in post stall. Not as fast and energetic as the Edges, Slicks and Extras, but nice and slow for a beginner to learn on. I absolutely love mine and I keep getting compliments for the looks and the way it flies.

wedoitall

the 48'' edge is not the best plane, you would be better off with the 47 extra. The edge has to be the only plane from 3dhs I am not pleased with.

what is the differences? what are the issues you have with the edge, especially for a 3d noob.

not only does cost come in alil bit but strength and durability. after thinking about what gyro said, may wanna go with something alil less $$$$ with my experience and all. hate to pile up a $600+ plane hehe.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
what is the differences? what are the issues you have with the edge, especially for a 3d noob.

not only does cost come in alil bit but strength and durability. after thinking about what gyro said, may wanna go with something alil less $$$$ with my experience and all. hate to pile up a $600+ plane hehe.

The edge just is not fit my flying style. No matter what I do I always feel as if I am fighting it to do anything. where as the extra I am locked into every maneuver and even doing rolling harriers inches off the ground. another big issue with the edge is the wire gear is nothing but garbage. I do not see how 3dhs advertises it is great for noobs. I think it was something they cheeped out on. Also every one is always saying how much better the edges are at harrier flight. while they are good at that the extra is just as good if not better.