• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion What's a good first balsa plane?

wedoitall

so is there anything you dont like about the extra? your the first person that has recommended the extra as a first balsa. i really like the looks of it.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
there is not one thing I would change about the extra. I think you would benefit greatly from it. As far as some may say about the carbon gear all I have to say is I have never broken carbon gear on a 48'' plane but I repeatedly bend the wire gear on my edge. And I fly off a grass runway.

I have flown both the Ef extra and edge and both plane were set up very different the edge was on 3 cell and the extra on 4 cell I felt like the extra was more precise flew straight lines better but still could do some wild stuff the edge to me didn't track as well but if you jammed the sticks it was a blast to fly to me I think it depends on what your looking for if 3d is your think I think you can't go wrong with the edge if you like more percision go with extra but this is based on experience with these 2 planes that were set up different I may have switched the power systems around and have a different opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
I have never flown or seen an extramflight plane in person, but I do fly 3d and for me the extra is more wild than the edge. 3DHS version anyhow.

Also I see some guys say get a 51" plane I agree the bigger the better that is why I sold my 48" I'm stuck on the 60" planes they are my favorite easy to transport and the most fun for my to fly my 60" extreme flight extra has spoiled me this is my go to plane

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Don't get me wrong because I love my Buck Huck. It got it's first scratches this year at the Ohio Huckfest when I managed a thermal ESC shutdown and pancaked in front of everyone. It was a great way to introduce myself at my first huckfest. BUT.... It has a very small plane feel and it leaves me wanting something bigger. If you want to save a few bucks, the Buck Huck will treat you well but I definitely recommend something bigger if you can afford it. I'm thinking of a 57" Extra or 59" Slick before this year's Huckfest.

3dbandit

100cc
The buck huck is a great value, and it very durable. I have hundreds of aggressive flights on mine and it is still in great shape. It does high alpha with ease and flies precision relatively well.

I know a bunch of guys who got 48" EF edge's and extras for their first balsa planes. The edge was more forgiving at slow speed but didn't have the same locked in feel as the extra.

If money is not an issue i would go for the 51" slick, it is one of the easiest 3D planes to fly.