• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? What's good in cheap servos these days?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Bart you should've gone with the HS-1005SGT for all surfaces.

I'm betting you'd make a lot of people LOL with that decision. $100 airplane, $1800 in servos :laughing:

tailskid

70cc twin V2

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 405

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm considering some Promodeler servos for my next airplane and read today that there can be an issue with them when using a Spektrum Powersafe receiver. Evidently from what I understand there can be power spikes from the servos, I guess trying to feed voltage back into the receiver. On a PowerSafe it won't let the voltage feed back into the batteries so it spikes the servos and can evidently get as high as 9 volts from a 2s LiPo setup. The newer Hitec servos like the 9380 do something similar and come with a P.A.D. Power Absorbing Device that plugs into the receiver to solve this.

Anyone know anything more about this? I'm going to contact John from Promodeler and see if a PAD would solve this for his servos as well.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have heard the same but not how it was resolved. But as you have explained a capacitor will take care of voltage spikes, just have to pick the correct size and type.

Alky6

150cc
I'm considering some Promodeler servos for my next airplane and read today that there can be an issue with them when using a Spektrum Powersafe receiver. Evidently from what I understand there can be power spikes from the servos, I guess trying to feed voltage back into the receiver. On a PowerSafe it won't let the voltage feed back into the batteries so it spikes the servos and can evidently get as high as 9 volts from a 2s LiPo setup. The newer Hitec servos like the 9380 do something similar and come with a P.A.D. Power Absorbing Device that plugs into the receiver to solve this.

Anyone know anything more about this? I'm going to contact John from Promodeler and see if a PAD would solve this for his servos as well.
I have seen 9+ volt spikes in my telemetry from the first gen 9 channel powersafe receivers that I have (using 2s lipos). It does seem realistic that a capacitor should solve that problem. I am curious to hear what John says.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The PAD would mitigate voltage spikes (as that's what our Brushless do) but they only come with the servos from the factory.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
mine are still in the box, haven't worked on the plane much since before Christmas when I was doing basic rehab stuff to it.