• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Xpress builds a 115 AJ Laser - PICTURE HEAVY!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Last night I worked on mounting the MONSTER ZDZ-180. This is probably 1.5x the engine this airplane really needs, but it'll make it that much more fun. The one thing with the ZDZ180 is that it is a rear carb design so a hole will need to be cut into the firewall.

Joe Mitchell provided a template for the ZDZ180 that gives the proper shape for the cutout for the carb, and gives drill hole locations too. I ended up using both the supplied template with the Laser and the ZDZ template to mark my holes. Terry Wiles (you'll find I go to him for advice quite often) suggested I trace the hole out and then drill a number of holes using 1/16" drill bits. It is tedious work trying to get the holes as close together as possible without having then walk into each other, and the 1/16 bits are FRAGILE! I'm glad I bought a 10 pack because I killed off 3 of them doing this, this plywood is THICK and STURDY, good aircraft grade ply!
30624572_10217012457570563_324755044324868096_o.jpg

The theory is that if you drill them all close enough together that you can just punch out the wood. Well I seemed to have failed, and resorted to a cutting bit on the dremel to open the hole up. Nice and clean... :gnashing:
30697853_10217012458170578_3966151317147090944_o.jpg

OK so not exactly my best work. The ply is thick and the cutting bits were walking all over the place with this wood- it's definitely not the cheap chinese wood that cuts easily! I spent a little more time with the cutting bit to clean it up some. I will spend more time with the dremel and sanding drums to smooth it all out. With the firewall being as strong as it is, there isn't any compromising the structural integrity, even with the beastly ZDZ180 yanking it around.
30572287_10217012458490586_8874269278195417088_o.jpg

I ended up test-fitting the motor by drilling the upper right hole out as it was market. Then run a bolt through it and position the motor in place using the spacers- I wound up using a 3/4" spacer to get the proper spacing out from the firewall. The spinner will fit tight, I might even space it a little more. When the bolt is snugged down, put a 2nd spacer on the lower left hand side so that the engine will press it into the firewall. This way the entire weight of the engine isn't hanging on one bolt, and your engine will be sitting roughly how it will be when all of the bolts and spacers are in. Once you have done this, bolt your cowl up to see how it fits around the engine.

30623953_10217012459090601_13556755032178688_o.jpg

Pretty much perfect!

I ended up getting 3 of 4 holes just spot on, the lower right hole I had to elongate SLIGHTLY to get the holes to all align up. Once I got all of the holes squared away I bolted the engine up for a final fit.
30630045_10217012458770593_8983313567218401280_o.jpg

Tonight I'll pull the engine off again, clean up the hole for the carb, drill another hole for the fuel line to fit into the carb, and get to work on getting throttle and choke servos installed and setup.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
What you need for the Dremel when cutting big lumber in that manner is one of these, https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/ms400-multisaw-attachment . It is basically a miniature reciprocating saw, and works great.

genius.... Dremel keeps putting out some cool products.

Tanner that engine is a beast. Ever thought about smoking this setup or any setup? I can't say I've seen you billowing smoke... (I haven't... I should shut my mouth) Maybe California frowns upon anything resembling smoke.... :confused: LOL Wish I had a nice field, a sexy van, and this wonderful airframe to fly like you bud.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What you need for the Dremel when cutting big lumber in that manner is one of these, https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/ms400-multisaw-attachment . It is basically a miniature reciprocating saw, and works great.

Fancy attachment but it doesn't fit my Dremel :confused:

genius.... Dremel keeps putting out some cool products.

Tanner that engine is a beast. Ever thought about smoking this setup or any setup? I can't say I've seen you billowing smoke... (I haven't... I should shut my mouth) Maybe California frowns upon anything resembling smoke.... :confused: LOL Wish I had a nice field, a sexy van, and this wonderful airframe to fly like you bud.

I don't care to deal with the extra weight, the extra plumbing, the extra work to install a smoke system, the extra cleanup required, the extra care to ensure the smoke oil doesn't begin to eat the covering, the extra cost involved with installing the system, and the extra cost to purchase smoke oil. I find it 100% unnecessary and just a waste of time and money, but to each his own.

I will state it right here: I will never install a smoke system in any of my gas airplanes. Not worth the effort IMO.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I did basically nothing last night to the airplane, the girlfriend decided we should go out to dinner instead :oblong::confused: But before that happened I did manage to rearrange my van so that both the 115 and the 105 Lasers fit inside.

30689081_10217019634749988_5707678242626863104_o.jpg

Tonight I'm hoping to get to work on cleaning up the carb hole and finish fitting the engine in place using the method I like to install it. Threaded blind nuts on the backside of the firewall, which I always follow up with a washer and a lock-nut to ensure the bolts can't back out.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
For this airplane I will be using the Hitec HSB-9381TH servos. These servos are the most powerful servos that you can buy in a standard size case due to their no-fade power output- unlike coreless digitals, whos torque can easily drop 200-300 oz/in when the load is applied to them.

View attachment 102893

The only problem is these are the only 2 in stock and they're already going to another customer :oblong: More are coming early May :cryin::(:rolleyes:

For throttle servos, I always use the HS-5565MH. I have had awesome luck using this servo as it's super quick, HV compatible, and its coreless motor is extremely accurate and smooth. Metal geartrain too, in all of the throttle applications I've used this in none of them have given any kind of slop. Since the ZDZ-180 carb is inside of the motor box, I use the HS-5565MH on the choke as well.
View attachment 102894

For extensions, I prefer to use TailDragger RC for all of my extension needs. The wing harnesses use a MPX 10 pin connector that makes plugging your wings in super easy and quick, and the connectors fit extremely snug so there's no chance of it coming out in flight.
What is the market price on these servos.