• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

104 Slick Elevator issue

emtp275

100cc
Having trouble with elevators on my 104, When i have the counter balance flush with the stabs on both sides this is how my control surfaces line up at the aft edge, Does any one else have this issue and maybe a fix to the problem at hand?center line of stab in blue and aft edge marked in red

ele.jpg

Husker

50cc
It is rare for the counterbalances to be perfectly lined up when elevators are at neutral(especially on an arf). Set up your elevator throws using the trailing edge and ignore the counterbalances.

To minimize the warp you can bend them straight and hit the covering with a heat gun. Might need a helper since it takes a few hands. It will likely never line up perfectly though.

emtp275

100cc
Starting to hope thats the case and they are both warped in opposing directions, It was suggested on another form that they were the same side elevator and one had been covered wrong I really hope thats not the case I guess ill figure out after work

Husker

50cc
It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy but I am pretty sure the only difference is that one side has slots/hardpoints for the phenolic control horns. If the slots are on the bottom of both then you are fine.

If you set the throws and the heat gun doesn't get them close I am sure 3dhs would ship you some new ones in a month or 5:epic:

***edit: the slots go all the way through in these

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Starting to hope thats the case and they are both warped in opposing directions, It was suggested on another form that they were the same side elevator and one had been covered wrong I really hope thats not the case I guess ill figure out after work

Although not the slick, I've recovered several ARF stabs and ailerons from name brands and found that they are built as universal and covered as left and right (slots for horns go all the way through). So, this is highly likely because there is no structural difference. This really confirms nothing though, one or both are still warped.

Huskers answer is correct, although unsightly if it's bad enough and it may take a bit of adjustment because you will be forced to trim your ailerons to correct for off-balance stabs. It really sucks now that you have them all hinged and glued up though:( Try to line up the trailing edges as good as possible, and stand back to site down at the ailerons to see if they are in-line.

emtp275

100cc
If all else fails I have the IMAC stabs and Im sure it will still out fly my thumbs with them I just don't want to take that road if I dont have to.

tylerzx9r

100cc
I experienced this on an ARF build we just did, We were able to use a straight edge on the trailing edge to make sure both halves were on the same level, then tape the counter balance so it lined up, then using a heat gun, shrinking the covering and it then lined up and counter balances were straight.

emtp275

100cc
I experienced this on an ARF build we just did, We were able to use a straight edge on the trailing edge to make sure both halves were on the same level, then tape the counter balance so it lined up, then using a heat gun, shrinking the covering and it then lined up and counter balances were straight.
Ill give it a try rudder is easy to remove and it shouldnt be a bad fix if this is the issue