• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
What is happening is when you are doing violent snaps at very high speeds the following happens the wing is extremely strong and stiff and also the fuselage with both having carbon tubes. But unfortunately all of these forces are focused into one location and that is were the wing tube and the fuselage intersect and it is only 5/8 wide. So what happens is that the hole in the fuselage gets enlarged quite quickly, and the balsa around the wing gets compressed . Next thing you know is that the wing is loose.
Still working on the changes depending what happens on the next few flights will decide to leave the changes made or put it away and take a long look at it over the coming winter. The changes I have made are not proven yet.

Ok have about 25 additional flights on the plane after the first repair and after 5 flights the wing was starting to loosen up again. So the last fix it is 20 flights old and still as solid as when started off. No guarantees that it is a total fix but looks promising. Ok.
Drilled out the hole in the fuselage and installed a maple hardwood donut. Then fixed all the depressions on the fuselage, after that thinned some epoxy down 50% and painted the fuselage around the wing to harden everything up. Then fitted the carbon tube to the donut and glued it in. After I did that no more problems. The first time I did not glue the carbon tube in and started to loosen up again. Hope this helps.

The changes have worked out well. After the changes I flew the plane for rest of the summer hard and I mean hard and it is still in good shape. Cleaned it up for the winter and will be ready next year for another season of abuse.

Would you be so kind as to snap a photo of your fuselage reinforcements/Wing Tube support structure? Thanks!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Would you be so kind as to snap a photo of your fuselage reinforcements/Wing Tube support structure? Thanks!
Hi Nick, ok cannot take a picture because all you will see is the covering. I do know if I built another one what I would do. I can give you a description if you like let me know.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick as requested.

Ok the balsa block that supports the wing in the fuselage I would use bass wood with a lot of lightning holes cut into it at the appropriate locations.
Also cut two root ribs from light plywood with the appropriate amount of lighting holes. Glue them to either side of the fuselage. This gives the wings something to work against and also an extra 3/16 of an inch to the width of the fuselage to support the wing tube.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
You guys stay tuned. This plane along with a couple of my other designs may actually be getting kitted. I will keep you all informed if and when it happens.

Did any of this come to fruition?
Keep thinking about starting this one up. Need to finish my two float planes though!! Then start this… and a couple others…
61C49751-6247-4705-9C32-A4E38D5313F0.jpeg

Last edited: