• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 26% Pitts M12

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
What kind of trouble is he having? I have not had any customers report issues with mounting the canopy. Is it possible that he did not cut the canopy down enough to fit right or possibly cut to much? Have him send us an email or something and we will be more then happy to talk him through it.

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I'll talk more to my friend about it and see if he will send you an email

Wacobipe

100cc
Hey @Wacobipe,

I followed your thread on the "other" site but I don't remember one thing in particular. Did you have any trouble fitting the canopy to the fuse on your kit? A good friend of mine is finishing up his and he tells me the canopy is giving him fits. He's been building and flying since the 70's and he's built ALLOT of planes that fly AWESOME. He's tried everything I can think of including trying to heat up the canopy a little bit to make it more pliable.

TIA for the assistance.
Pm sent

Wacobipe

100cc
I have a setup question for you precision guys out there @Pistolera , @orthobird , and any others. I have finally got the Pitts back in the skies and am working on fine tuning the control surface feels to be more to my liking. For this discussion I want to focus on rudder and elevator.

Original setup:
elevator up/down 13 degrees, no expo.
Rudder left/right 30 degrees

The issue for me is that for precision flight (due to very large control surfaces on this plane) these are way too touchy to be precise, but the throw is needed for certain aerobatic maneuvers. So I added expo of 30% which helped with both rudder and elevator precision and also gave me full throws when needed in those rare aerobatic maneuvers.

I am having a problem with the plane nosing over on landing as once the plan slows to the point there is not much air flowing over the elevator (way below stall speed, plane is rolling out on landing) the plane has a tendency to nose over. For this reason I want to set up the elevator with 30 degree up throws so they act more as both air brake and down-force to stop the nose-over tendency.

I could do this by raising throws and adding more expo to keep things nice near center...but I think this is wrong. I think I should set 2 flight conditions, and set one for flight (plus/minus 13 degrees on elevator, no or little expo), and another for landing (with 30 degrees up elevator, and maybe 50-60% expo to keep things similar on elevator near center). My concerns with this are twofold. One, I will now have to remember to change flight modes (something I've never done) so there is a risk of forgetting this. Two, I'm concerned the plane will feel differently in elevator sensitivity on landing causing uncertainty in this critical flight moment. Also, there is now a huge expo value and huge throws which could cause me unforeseen issues during landing.

Any input is appreciated.

P.S. Is there a resource out there that would show the typical radio setup of a precision IMAC ship? not specific settings, but normal flight modes, travels, setup methodology, etc...

Thanks!

Sure thing...
What radio do you use, if you do not mind me asking. Not that it makes a difference, I am only interested. I will not mention any names here,.

This is what I do:

I have the following flight modes. And the modes are listed in order of priority.

1. High Rate
2. Roller Rate
3. Snap rate
4. Low rate
5. Default mode

I will explain each one.

1. High rate = this is used to taxi onto the run way. Right before taking off, I switch it to low rate. I take off, and fly. I fly precision. When i do a hammerhead, I will switch it to high rates. As soon as the Airplane rotates, I remove the high rate, and place it back in low rate. High rate has maximal rudder deflection, just enough that does not touch the elevators!! HA HA!! aileron rate is same as low rate, and elevator rate is more than low rate.

also, allow me to add, I use a 3 position switch, that is on the top of my right stick. I can take a picture, if you want me to.

2. Roller rate = Only used to do a roller. This has way much less aileron throw, as compared to low rate., and it has more rudder throw and more elevator throw, as compared to low rates.

3. Snap Rate = this is activated by logical switches. IF the left stick and right stick, at the same time, are buried into the corners, then it activates the logical switch. SO if I am flying on low rates, and I want to do a snap, and bury the sticks, the moment the sticks reach maximal, the switch turns on, and it will increase my aileron throw, as compared to low rate, and it will increase then decrease elevator and rudder.

4. Low rate = this is my precision rate, which allows me to do everything I want to do precision wise. Rolls, point rolls, loops, loop elements, etc.....

the moment I am making my approach to land, I will place it on low idle and land on low rates. the moment I touch down, I switch it on to high rates (again, the switch is already on my finger tips), and use full up elevator, and this will push the tail down, and help slow down the airplane.

as far as travels go, for precision, I like to maximize the servo resolution, but at same time, need to have enough throw, to be able to make it snap.

For the elevators, the servo arms are maybe 1.25"

the servo arm on the rudder is 1.5"

Aileron is also 1.25"

the distance from the hinge line to the control horn hole, is going to be either equal to, or greater, than the servo arm distance from the the servo output shaft to the ball link. meaning, you want the ratio to be either one or less, that is, you do not want the servo arm distance to be greater than the control horn (hinge line to hole on the horn).

(we do this on 3D airplanes, using mega strong servos, but doing this, decreases the resolution.)

there are other things to look at, and that is, try to make the mechanical set up, as close or equal as possible, when servos are ganged on one surface, and then use the radio to do final matching. DO not try to make it all with the radio, as this can result in more binding, at different degrees of movement. meaning, you can match it in center and end points, but it may bind in between.

But the better the initial mechanical set up is, the less likely it will be that binding will occur.

I hope I have not confused you or made things more complicated, and, if you already know all of this, then please forgive me If it sounded simplistic.

Best regards

Cam

Wacobipe

100cc
That is fantastic Cam...thanks for the detail.

I am flying a JR XG14 at the moment...but I have a Jeti DC-24 on order (It is torture waiting for FCC approval)!

The reason for the question is I am really wanting to take my precision flight to the next level. Your response is extremely helpful!

Do you ever get to the Asheville area? You seem to pop up in tons of thread that interest me here, and the Jeti thread on RC groups and others. I'd love to catch up sometime. Maybe a trip to LA is in order!

Yes, please , come over this weekend, it is my contest!!

we would love for you to be here!

2016 Shreveport Area IMAC competition.

July 23 & 24, 2016

Welcome to all IMAC members and anyone else interested in competing.
Must be AMA registered and current.
Pilots flying above basic must have a model that complies with requirements by IMAC and must have a pilot and instrument panel.

We will attempt to run 4 rounds on Saturday and 1 extra round on Sunday plus an unknown round.

Pilots meeting at 8:00 am, and wheels up by 8:30 am
we will have sun blockers in the morning.

The club is located in Sunny North Shreveport, at the Northridge Park.
The SHARKS RC Club has a 600ft x 40ft asphalt runway, 400ft grass runway, covered asphalt pit with electricity and 3 RV hookups.

to get directions, click here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//32..../data=!3m1!4b1

We are also promoting electrics.

We will have lunch on Saturday, and possibly on Sunday as well, based on what the pilots want to do. They can tell me that Saturday.

Places to lodge:

Hampton Inn
2691 Viking Drive
Bossier City , LA 71111

There are also many places to dine in North Bossier, which is not to far from the field. Ask any of the club members (or me) while you are there, and we can give you many suggestions.

The contest is open to all classes:

Basic
Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
&
Unlimited

The club will be open early Friday morning, (July 22) for anyone that wants to practice.
Additionally, if anyone plans to arrive earlier, please notify me, so that I can make arrangements to open the club.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or call me with questions.

Cam Shah

cshahrdar@yahoo.com
(318) 453-0097