• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 50CC AMR STICK THREAD

Should I Do A Build Thread On My 50cc AMR Stick

• YES, DEFINITELY

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • YES, BUT ONLY IF IT TAKES LESS THAN A YEAR. . . . LOL

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • MAY BE INTERESTING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, TOO BORING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rmyers

70cc twin V2
Sounds like it could be a good fit for my Midwest cap 232 kit I have. Seems I have read they can be built fairly light stock and I see lots of places in it to save weight. First spot is wing sheeting. If going my the instructions both wings and stabs get 3/32" sheeting where I'm sure 1/16" will be plenty.

I had it on a Chip Hyde CapX for a while. Hauled the airplane around ok but snap happy! I'm leaning toward a Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon. Still might be too much airframe. Meanwhile back to this stick build!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You guys can talk about any plane you'd like on this thread when I'm not building, I don't mind at all.

Already getting a little excited about working on my Stick tonight. . . . . :big_yes:. Unfortunately, you guys will have to wait until tomorrow evening to get an update. Tonight, I start the wings. . . . . :yesss:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Before you build the wings do some research on the plane. This may not apply to your stick but sure did to the Stick 85. The plane was very lazy on the ailerons. I extended my ailerons by 1 1/4 and it rotates good now, please note it is not a 3D machine. It just needed a little more aileron power.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@Snoopy1,

Thanks for the heads up. I remember reading some of the same comments about the 50cc and 85cc AMR Stick as well. I will certainly look into it. Did you put the scalloped trailing edge ailerons on your 85cc Stick? I bought the "Ultrastick" type ailerons and tail for mine which are straight on the trailing edge.

Thanks Buddy

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
image.jpeg
@Snoopy1,

Thanks for the heads up. I remember reading some of the same comments about the 50cc and 85cc AMR Stick as well. I will certainly look into it. Did you put the scalloped trailing edge ailerons on your 85cc Stick? I bought the "Ultrastick" type ailerons and tail for mine which are straight on the trailing edge.

Thanks Buddy
They are straight. I just built my own ailerons. Used the front bevels and the trailing materials but made new ribs that were longer. If look at the wing where the fuselage connects to the wing that is the original cord. Hope I am making sense.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Fellas

I will be back tomorrow evening with an update as promised, but I have to apologize in advance. It is not going to be as extensive an update as I wanted it to be. I will explain what I mean tomorrow, as I am too angry to even type about it right now. . . . . :very_angry:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I had to do give someone else a hard time to take my mind off things. . . . . .;) Anyway, yesterday is gone and soon to be forgotten. I went to my Buddy's house and pulled out all of the pieces to build the wing jig. Then I put the jig together.

Stick 16.jpg

Stick 17.jpg

Then, as you can see I laid out all the ribs. You can also see the ribs I had to double up and add doublers to Rib W3 for the end of the wing tube. The wing jig is nice. The instructions tell you to assemble the jig with all of the part labels facing you and you build the left wing panel upside down in the jig. Then, after the left panel is done, you unscrew the blocks in the corner of the jig, turn the pieces of the jig around so the text is facing away from you. Then you screw the blocks back in the corners then build the right wing panel upside down in the jig. It's a slick little system. The biggest concern I have at this point is getting a little to heavy handed with the CA and accidently gluing the wing to the jig. I am using slow thick CA, so as long as I'm careful, it shouldn't be a problem.

Stick 18.jpg

In this picture, you can see the horizontal leading edge piece inserted in grooves in the ribs and pushed all the way back so the front of the piece is even with the front of the ribs. What you cannot see is that I accidently broke the horizontal piece on the right side of the fifth rib from the left in the bottom picture. . . . :oops:. I cannot see that this will cause any problems whatsoever, because, as you can see the vertical leading edge backer interlocks with the horizontal piece between every rib for the full length of the wing.

Unfortunately, this is where progress stopped and my blood pressure went up considerably. . . . :mad: The next step in the instructions was to install two 1/4" x 1/2" x 48" long basswood spars in the large notches you see in the tops of all the ribs. As you all have probably guessed by now, the basswood spars were not in the box of wood. What's worse is that as I was digging through the box, I found about 20 sticks missing of various sizes and wood types. . . . . :eek:. The most disappointing fact is that I know darn well every piece was in the box when I sent I took it to my (so called) friends house for him to build the kit for me. As it turned out, he was working on a plane he was building so I guess he figured he needed my wood worse than I did. . . . . .:face-palm: I will end my rant with this statement. There aren't many things that upset me more than people who don't mind taking advantage of someone else. I am now off my soap box.

So, unfortunately, I have no more progress to show for last night. I hope my LHS has the stock I need to allow me to continue with wing construction next Monday night, but I'm a little concerned because all of the missing sticks were 48" long.. . . . . :concern:

Hey @Snoopy1, thanks for the picture reminder. I like what you did with your ailerons, but that may not possible for me. The ailerons and flaps on the 50cc size are flat stock and not built up. Adding the little piece near the fuselage won't be the problem, but the outboard ends might be.

Thanks for following along Fellas. Until next week,
Take care everyone.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The ends that came with the kit I did no like so built Horner wing tips on it. Quite a bit of work but happy with the result. You not the only one that had some difficulty with jig I was lucky because several people got it wrong so I was very vigilante at that step.but the most difficult part of the hole plane was the stabilizer it was a bugger. On the 85 it is built up and difficult to keep straight and squeeze to the fuse.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

Work was such a madhouse last week, I forgot to go to the LHS and pick up the strip stock that I needed to continue with the next step in wing construction. . :confused:. That's OK though, I'm sure I can still find something to glue together tonight, besides my fingers. . .:laughing: