• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 50CC AMR STICK THREAD

Should I Do A Build Thread On My 50cc AMR Stick

• YES, DEFINITELY

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • YES, BUT ONLY IF IT TAKES LESS THAN A YEAR. . . . LOL

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • MAY BE INTERESTING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, TOO BORING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joshet89

50cc
Hey @Joshet89,

I noticed in your wing pictures you only had sheer webs on one side of the front main spar. Did you only get 12 WSW2's in your kit too? The reason I ask is that in my instruction book on steps 134 and 135 (I think), the pictures clearly show and call for sheer webs on the front and back of the spar all the way out to the wig tip (minus the last rib bay) . Of course, this means you'd need 24 WSW2's to have enough. What's more confusing is that in the parts diagrams in the front of the book, they only show 12 WSW2's.

Yea I only had the 12 (minus 2 I lost somewhere along the way DOH!!) So on the first wing I built the webbing was on the backside of the spar and I just rolled with it. On the second wing I had a lightbulb moment seeing where the webbing attaches to the leading edge piece that slides into the ribs so I put the webbing on the front of the spars on that one. Just to keep everything secure I cut 2 more webbing pieces and glued them to front of the spars on the first wing. After reading your post I sent a quick email over to the guys at AMR to see if they can clear it up!

Edit: I received an email from Michael at AMR and he said one side is enough. Can't say enough about their customer service in that I received a response from them in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Joshet89

50cc
Well I got some more updates done on my Stik! Both wings have the trailing edges sheeted and servo boxes are all glued together. Really get an idea of the size of the plane when the wings are on and I am getting pretty excited!

I totally get the wing attaching to the jig moment too! My solution wasn't anywhere near as elegant as yours tho! Lots of tapping and grumbling going on in the shop at that point!

IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Progress!

Yes, FINALLY ! ! ! ! . . . . . . :laughing:It felt good to have the time to work on it again. More to come soon, I promise.:yesss:

Enjoyed reading the oh :dancing-poop: moment when the wing and jig became one. Purely because I have had similar instances! :laughing: Well done liberating your wing!
Looking good....Looooking good!

Thanks Paul,
I was REALLY sweating it for a while though. I guess it pays to be lucky every once and a while.:big_yes:

Yea I only had the 12 (minus 2 I lost somewhere along the way DOH!!) So on the first wing I built the webbing was on the backside of the spar and I just rolled with it. On the second wing I had a lightbulb moment seeing where the webbing attaches to the leading edge piece that slides into the ribs so I put the webbing on the front of the spars on that one. Just to keep everything secure I cut 2 more webbing pieces and glued them to front of the spars on the first wing. After reading your post I sent a quick email over to the guys at AMR to see if they can clear it up!

Edit: I received an email from Michael at AMR and he said one side is enough. Can't say enough about their customer service in that I received a response from them in less than 15 minutes.

Hey Josh,
Thanks for the quick update from AMR about the sheer webs. It will save me a trip to the LHS for some more 1/8" plywood:big_yes:. I'm also glad to know that I was not the only one who got his wing stuck in the jig. I'm not going to tell you I didn't say a few harsh words while I was extracting mine. On the other hand, I also had help, which went a long way towards my success.

Your Stick is coming together very nicely. It looks like it won't be long for you now. I know what you mean about starting to get excited. Every time my Buddy brings his out to the flying field, it kills me. and he knows it. . . . . :laughing:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Oh well,

Mother Nature didn't allow me any Stick building time this weekend, but I'm looking forward to some quality build time tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get the first wing half wrapped up, or close to it. I will have an update Tuesday.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well, its time for my weekly update. It won't be a very long one tonight for two reasons. The first reason is that Hurricane Matthew knocked out power at my Buddies house on Saturday morning and it didn't come back on till about 6:00pm last evening. The second reason is that even though I worked steady for very close to 5 hour, I do not have much in the way of progress to show for it.

So shall we continue?

Stick 34.jpg

The first thing I did was build the left half of the wing center section that fits on top of the fuselage. It consists of the four layers of 1/8" plywood in the above picture (the top one is labeled "WA3") and the four various shaped of plywood on the right side o the triple root rib. It took me a little extra time because I got glue too close to the edges when I glued the ribs together so I had to clear it out all of the slots in the triple root rib for these pieces to fit.

Stick 35.jpg

In the above picture you can see most of the outside of the far right half rib in the previous picture. You can also see the keyed slots in the half rib for the other four pieces that make up this half of the wing center section. There were similar slots in the root ribs but the slots were at least an 1/8" deeper and in slightly different locations so there is no way someone could put the wrong piece in the wrong place.

Stick 36.jpg

Stick 37.jpg

The instructions then tell you to cut 1/2" x 1/2" balsa filler blocks for your flap and aileron Robart hinge points and glue them between the ribs and up against the back of the plywood trailing edge support. You can see where I did this in the above two pictures.

I have to be honest. At this point, I deviated from the instructions. They tell you to sand the balsa blocks down even with the ribs so the trailing edge sheeting can rest on the ribs and up against the front of the trailing edge support. This was almost impossible to do, so I decided to sand down the trailing edge plywood support and the balsa fillers down to the profile of the ribs. Next, I will just glue the back of the trailing edge sheeting even with the back of the trailing edge support. I also had to stop and try to think of the possibility that doing this would cause a problem down the road. I did not think of any reasons so I got my sanding bar with a fresh strip of 80 grit adhesive backed sandpaper and I started sanding. First on one side, then the other. 3-1/2 hours later, I was finished with the rough sanding and my wrist was telling me I was finished for the night. . . . . :frown:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Only when I got home after 11:30pm did I think of a potential problem with my deviation from the plans. Even though I doubt it's going to be an issue. I am going to be VERY careful when I drill my holes for the hinge points so I don't split what's left of the plywood trailing edge support. Even though the trailing edge sheeting will be 1/8" further back, it will still make good contact with the 1/4" x 1/4" stringer you see in last picture in my previous post, so there is no issue there.

Also, while sitting here typing this, another good reason for me doing this build thread came to mind. It will give me a good reference so I do not make the same mistakes twice. . . . . ;) So, here are a few reminders for myself for when I get to the right half of the wing.

1. Don't forget to take the wing jig apart and reverse the supports BEFORE you build the right wing half.
  2. Use 30 minute epoxy to install the wing tube sleeve in the wing half.
  3. Get some fine sand and some Ziplock baggies to make some weight bags. I learned this trick, here on GSN, I think from @Forgues-Research in his AWESOME 50% Dalotel Build thread. Thanks for the great tip Roger. . . :cheers:
  4. Don't glue the right wing half to the jig like you did the left wing half, ya big Dummy. . . . . :laughing:.
  5. Don't forget to install the 1/8" plywood trailing edge support upside down for the right wing half, like you were supposed to do the left wing half.
  6. Sand down the ribs, spars and stringers before you glue on the 1/8" plywood covering ring that goes around the bottom of the servo.
  7. Put the sheer webs on the front edge of the spar like you did in the left wing.
  8. Finally, sand down the trailing edge plywood support BEFORE you glue in the 1/2" x 1/2" balsa filler blocks. This will make the sanding much easier on the right half of the wing.
One more thing, speaking of the right wing half. If all goes well, I should be ready for the right wing in a few weeks. After sanding, all I need to do is build the left wing tip (maybe) and finish adding the wing sheeting and adding cap strips to the ribs. I will leave the final wing sanding until I am finished building the plane and ready to start covering.

That's all for tonight fellas.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good morning Fellas,

Sorry, but I only have a very little update this morning on construction of my Stick. I was just not in the mood to work on it last night for some reason. . . . :(Basically, the only thing I got done was I sanded down the high spots in the ribs, spar & etc., on both sides of the wing panel in preparation for wing sheeting. I didn't get any pictures, because when I was finished, you couldn't tell I did anything. My Buddy is going off for a week so I don't know if I will be able to work on it next Monday night or not. According to the instructions, all I need to do at this point on the left wing half is sheet the trailing edge. Then I get to reconfigure the wing jig and start the wing building process all over again. The right wing half should go quicker. I certainly hope so anyway. . . . . :laughing:.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know if this applies to the stick you are building compared to the stick 85 but had to widen the support edge on the fuse were the wing is supported against. This is due to, we had bolt the wing down pretty hard to stop It moving. I made it 1/2 wide.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for the heads up @Snoopy1 . . . . . :way_to_go:

I will keep that in mind, but I don't know if it will be necessary on the 50cc Stick or not. My Buddy has been flying his for almost three years now without any problems. Of course he is a far better builder than I will ever be, so you never know.

Thanks for dropping by.:big_yes:
David