• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

ka9fax

30cc
Thanks 3dNater,
i hve been using http://www.badbradgraphics.com/index.html for about 5 or 6 years now. he will do anything u can dream up and send u a nice moc up of how it will look on your plane. has cheap and fast shipping. and will work with u till your project is perfect for you. this is his only job now. he is a retired police officer of 25 years.

SnowDog

Who has an OS GT 33 on their 71" Slick? How did it balance? Where did you put your rudder servo? Did you use two elevator servos?
I'm finally getting mine built and these are some questions I have. Thanks.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Who has an OS GT 33 on their 71" Slick? How did it balance? Where did you put your rudder servo? Did you use two elevator servos?
I'm finally getting mine built and these are some questions I have. Thanks.

Mike, just for "perspective", I'm running the DLE-30 in my 71, with one elevator servo, and a rudder servo in the tail. Have all my electronics gear and batteries behind the wing tube on the "pull-pull" servo tray. Using the 16oz fourtitude, she balances at just a tiny pinch forward of neutral.

SnowDog

Just for the record I found this info on the 'net:

DLE30
Total weight 2.4 lb (1.10 kg) 1090 grams
Weight Breakdown: Engine: 32.1 oz (910 g)
; Muffler: 2.1 oz (60 g);
Ignition: 4.2 oz (120g) total 1090 grams

OS Gt 33
Total Weight: 2.7lbs (1230g)
Engine, 34.72oz (984g)
Muffler, 5.65oz (160.5g)
Ignition: 3.70oz (105.0g)

so all up the OS is 140 grams ( 5 ozs) heavier..... with a hundred grams ( 3.57ozs)of that being the muffler that really works.

the actual weight difference of just the engines is 2.6 ozs (74 grams)

Just for the record I found this info on the 'net:

You are exactly right on the difference in weight. I went from the DLE 30 to the OS and I am loving it. I moved the Rudder servo to the tail. Took the Choke Servo out. Put the Battery on the Rudder Servo Deck and moved my Throttle Servo all the way back to the gas tank. I have a 8OZ Tank in it and I only had to put 1/2 Oz on the tail. ( And might add another half ounce to have a neutral flight. You can feel the difference in weight in the plane but man it does high energy moves like a champ!!!! And I don't have a motor that is Dieing on me. *I wont get into that one right now.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Some 70" Slick action :D The footage came from Wednesday Morning early... it was cold :p

[video=youtube;9rc7LUxtecI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rc7LUxtecI[/video]

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Nice!

Our definitions of "cold" are probably a littler different since you're able to wear shorts when it's cold out, but my fingers won't do that when I'm flying in the cold!

:cool:

SnowDog

You are exactly right on the difference in weight. I went from the DLE 30 to the OS and I am loving it. I moved the Rudder servo to the tail. Took the Choke Servo out. Put the Battery on the Rudder Servo Deck and moved my Throttle Servo all the way back to the gas tank. I have a 8OZ Tank in it and I only had to put 1/2 Oz on the tail. ( And might add another half ounce to have a neutral flight. You can feel the difference in weight in the plane but man it does high energy moves like a champ!!!! And I don't have a motor that is Dieing on me. *I wont get into that one right now.

I read all about your "adventures" with the DLE-30 on the other site...no need to repeat that here!
Glad that OS is working for you! Can't wait to get mine built.