• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aeroplus 111" Edge 540 V3 assembly

Pancake

50cc
It is a sexy airframe! Best looking plane I've ever owned (next to my old sebart SU 29!)
I spent a few hours yesterday going over and tightening everything. New tailwheel, blocked the bottom hole in the cowl save for a tiny slit so I can see the needles on the carb, intalled my venom cyl head temp meter, and tightened the rudder pull pull cables.

My system was drawing 600mah/flight with the Tech-aero. That seems high to me so I checked all my servo matching. I couldn't find any binding anywhere. Maybe that's just the price of running 9 mega torque servos on 7.4v with an IBEC. 6 7950s, 2 7980s, and a 7954 on throttle.

Anyway, I'm ready for the next flights! I hope blocking that bottom hole settled the engine down!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Did I mention my shoulder and arm still hurts?! I must be getting old...
Glad I'm not the only one that throws out their shoulder starting those gassers. Back in the day when @Decal Dennis was the service tech for Mintor I use to help him out once in a while. One night he was working on a couple Mintor 220's I was flippin the crap out of them. My arm hurt for a month! Thought I did permanent damage but it finally healed up.
:p

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Glad I'm not the only one that throws out their shoulder starting those gassers. Back in the day when @Decal Dennis was the service tech for Mintor I use to help him out once in a while. One night he was working on a couple Mintor 220's I was flippin the crap out of them. My arm hurt for a month! Thought I did permanent damage but it finally healed up.
:p

Ah yeah....the good ole Mintor engine days, did I just say good?!?!?!

Pancake

50cc
Flew the Edge again today. Managed 7 flights before my friends left the field. Since I don't like to operate big gassers without someone else on hand in case of an injury I packed it up and came home.
The engine is settling down. Its still a little burbly in the mid range, and it did quit on me at the bottom of a blender. Luckily I got it back no problems, upped the idle a bit and went back up. I can't wait for my new Bjorn Bowman rings! It runs, and it has decent comperession when flipped hard, but slowly turning it through by hand there isn't much resistance. It made pretty decent power for being brand new. Max temp was 265 degrees after about a minute of hovering and full throttle max deflection rolling loops and circles. Maybe those 2 little inlet holes with a tight fitting baffle is all it needs! I was pretty surprised. It was a little cool today.

Flying qualities- this is my favorite part! Today I felt good enough about the engine to really play with the airframe. I moved the CG back a bit and started flying 3D rates. There is a tiny bit of roll coupling, and an almost imperceptible pull to the canopy. I usually use a mix to help manage coupling, but with this airplane it's almost unnecessary. I didn't use any mix today and the plane flew like it was on rails. I was doing deep death slides with full rudder and it came down like a tomahawk almost hands off. It flies awesome. My first snaps overrotated a bit, but I blame slower servos then what I'm used to. After adjusting my thumbs this plane snaps as clean as any Extra I've ever flown! I went through the trim schedule, and it needed no adjustment. I'm going to keep moving the CG back until I get a straight inverted 45 with no deflection. I don't want to gush, but I'm convinced this thing is going to kick ass at IMAC!

Attachments

• 20170311_163939.jpg
    20170311_163939.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 367
  • 20170311_163950.jpg
    20170311_163950.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 20170311_164001.jpg
    20170311_164001.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Pancake

50cc
All the better to see you with...

Its been pretty overcast my last two trips out. I decided it might make life easier if I could see the bottom of the plane a little more clearly!

Attachments

• 20170312_135449.jpg
    20170312_135449.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking at some of the pictures I do like the way they painted the canopy. It looks nice the way panted a shape on to it.

Last edited: