• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Airplane Design Fusion 360

BalsaDust

I was wrong decided to get the rest of the solid model finished up today. Here we will use a new command to help in doing the wing tip shape.

Tristock pic. It got inserted at the end of this group. Basically just sketch onto the wing tip and draw a simple triangle with a 45 deg bevel. Extrude it all the way to the fuse side as a new body.

WT1 Now that the tristock is drawn create an angled workplane at the TE.

WT2 sketch onto that work plane. First project where the wing profile and tristock cross the sketch. Then go ahead and sketch out the same of the wing tip. You will see all my lines in this sketch are black. This meens they are fully constrained. Click finish sketch

WT3 Now sketch on the wing tip again. project the wing and the trick stock again and then draw a line from LE tip to TE tip. Finish the sketch. At this point go ahead and hover your mouse over the top section and then bottom section of the wing profile. With the line we drew it should highlight each part independently of each other and we need it to do this for the left command to work properly.

WT4 Now go to the create drop down and find the "Loft" command. click on the top half of the rib and then the wingtip shape sketch and it will model between those sketches. Be sure to click new body.

WT5 You will need to turn the wing profile sketch back on and then go ahead and turn the wing solid body off. Loft again between the sketch and the bottom of the previous loft and click join.

Finally go ahead and mirror the wingtip and turn your bodies back on so you can see all the good work.

Attachments

• WT1.JPG
    WT1.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 69
  • WT2.JPG
    WT2.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 71
  • WT3.JPG
    WT3.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 69
  • WT4.JPG
    WT4.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 75
  • WT5.JPG
    WT5.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Tristock.JPG
    Tristock.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 69

BalsaDust

Last thing to do and the Solid model is complete.

AF1 First go ahead and turn on the work plane that was created to do the wingtip outline. Sketch out the aileron and in this case I'm gonna go ahead and do flaps as well. You can set the sizes of it all however you would like. I set 3mm gap between surfaces as thats around 1/8" and then 10mm from flap to fuse.

AF2 Extrude using symmetric and once done mirror both parts.

AF3 Looky there the solid model is complete. Sit back and admire it.

Attachments

• AF1.JPG
    AF1.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 72
  • AF2.JPG
    AF2.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 72
  • AF3.JPG
    AF3.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 68

BalsaDust

Last bit of advice at this point before we go to the rest of the design. In the browser expand the bodies tab. Right click on the word bodies and create a new group. then right click on that new group and rename as you see fit. I named it Solids. Now all the bodies that have been created you can click and drag them to drop them into that group. Throughout the build we will create many more groups. The ultimate goal for me once this is done is to never lose the solid model, rather I just turn it on and off as needed. At this point I also go ahead and do a whole new save so that I have 2 files. One will act as a the model we continue on with our design. The other doesn't get touched. Rather it's just a back up basically. It also can be used at this point to scale the model up or down if you wanted to change the size.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks again for doing this, have read it several times, but with out the program running in front of me it hard to see if I can follow you properly. Just have get my hands on Fusion and start.

BalsaDust

Thanks again for doing this, have read it several times, but with out the program running in front of me it hard to see if I can follow you properly. Just have get my hands on Fusion and start.

Once you get started in it, it becomes pretty straight forward. I'm to the point now that if im not sure how to do something i can look it up on youtube and generally don't have to watch the entire video, rather just enough to point me where to look.

requesttop

New to GSN!
I am pretty good in AutoCAD but know nothing about Fusion 360. Really interested in what you are doing so I am going to try to get Fusion 360 installed and follow along with you and hope to be able to draw up a plane in the near future.

BalsaDust

I am pretty good in AutoCAD but know nothing about Fusion 360. Really interested in what you are doing so I am going to try to get Fusion 360 installed and follow along with you and hope to be able to draw up a plane in the near future.
Go for it. It's quite fun and rewarding once you figure it out.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok where is everyone finding Fusion and from whom are you getting it and how is it downloade. Some help please.
is Fusion part of AutoCAD or is it two separate companies.
Found a link in the USA but still looking how it is done in Canada.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Will get back to the tutorial with the ugly stick here soon. Got side tracked working on the solid model for a different flavor.

Attachments

• 329755846_449198707337798_3622439956959442140_n.jpg
    329755846_449198707337798_3622439956959442140_n.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 329903654_573308274845799_5530839238391667253_n.jpg
    329903654_573308274845799_5530839238391667253_n.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Solid Model Side View.jpg
    Solid Model Side View.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 79