• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aj aircraft 93,73,56 laser

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
So now that the laser's have been out a while, what's everybody's thoughts so far?

I helped a friend maiden his 73 with a DA 35 yesterday. I loved it! The DA-35 ran great out of the box and the AJL is a great plane. It has the highest roll rate of almost anything and almost lands itself. I give it a full 10 out of 10.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I flew Matt's 56" in Tulsa... Very precise airplane, tumbled nicely.

My only complaint is that for my flying style, there isn't enough rudder authority.

AKfreak

150cc
Really Jesky would offer a plane that is lacking in Rudder authority. Maybe it was the setup...hmmmm. I heard they were kick but planes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Really Jesky would offer a plane that is lacking in Rudder authority. Maybe it was the setup...hmmmm. I heard they were kick but planes.

It was a kick but plane...

However my opinion about the rudder, regardless who makes it: It could be bigger :)

I'm not saying it was insufficient, but I'd have enjoyed the plane more if it was larger.

I think Matt said the 73" rudder was similarly sized.

The only thing that might improve it's rudder is move the CG back. With the 4315-480 I was slightly on the nose heavy side. There is a lot of side area and it acts as a sail in the tumbles. It has plenty of authority to do knife edge loops, just it does not tumble like a top like the MXS or even a AJ slick.

My 73 is the same way and it's CG is perfect. Just a trade off in the design.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The only thing that might improve it's rudder is move the CG back. With the 4315-480 I was slightly on the nose heavy side. There is a lot of side area and it acts as a sail in the tumbles. It has plenty of authority to do knife edge loops, just it does not tumble like a top like the MXS or even a AJ slick.

My 73 is the same way and it's CG is perfect. Just a trade off in the design.

I agree with the above but would say "sufficient" rather than "plenty". It took a fair amount of rudder just to hold regular KE, or at least it seemed that way to me.... But I only flew it very briefly.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
That feel could have just been due to using someone else's expo settings... or the geometry of their setup.

I have the rudder pegged to the point it hits the elevator halves. About 80% expo. The SFGs give it better KE performance, but takes a bit away from roll authority and adds to the sail area of the side. Also realize I only had 3 days with the plane and the conditions were pretty bad most of the time for a 4.5 pound plane.

The plane has a lot of positives. It's roll rate is higher than I can keep up with and it has plenty of pitch authority and stupid power on the 6s 2200 setup

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have the rudder pegged to the point it hits the elevator halves. About 80% expo. The SFGs give it better KE performance, but takes a bit away from roll authority and adds to the sail area of the side. Also realize I only had 3 days with the plane and the conditions were pretty bad most of the time for a 4.5 pound plane.

The plane has a lot of positives. It's roll rate is higher than I can keep up with and it has plenty of pitch authority and stupid power on the 6s 2200 setup

I agree, the rolls were crazy.

Fwiw, I fly my rudders at 80% expo too, so that rules that out