• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Are you going to register with the FAA? Cast Your Vote!

Are you going to register with the FAA?

• Yes

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I would love to cancel my AMA also, but I have to have it for all of the events and fields I fly at during the year, so I don't have a choice.
This is the same boat I am in. Makes it difficult because there are no non-AMA clubs in my area. Unless I buy land and have my own field I am sunk all the way around.

kwj48

70cc twin V2
Well I bent over and registered friday. It really pissed me off while doing so, because the whole time the FAA site had a picture of a quad and said "register your drone". :very_angry:

Also had a club meeting yesterday and yes we will be requiring rc pilots to be registered with the FAA before they can fly openly or at events. We fly (rent free) on a coal ash site, so to keep in good graces with the owners, we thought it would be best. Just in case something bad was to happen we wouldn't get kicked off the property.

How many others clubs are starting to require this? I imagine a lot will. Any clubs had their meetings and discussed this yet?

Last edited:

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Well I bent over and registered friday. It really pissed me off while doing so, because the whole time the FAA site had a picture of a quad and said "register your drone". :very_angry:

Also had a club meeting yesterday and yes we will be requiring rc pilots to be registered with the FAA before they can fly openly or at events. We fly (rent free) on a coal ash site, so to keep in good graces with the owners, we thought it would be best. Just in case something bad was to happen we wouldn't get kicked off the property.
How many others clubs are starting to require this? I imagine all will. Any clubs had their meetings and discussed this yet?

I have flown at your club before at a fun fly event. I think it was two years ago. I won the swanyhouse raffle prize you had. Knowing your location, I do understand why your club thinks it best to register.

I am in two different clubs in my neck of the woods and neither has had their meetings concerning this yet. I am VP of one, yet we really are not pressed to require it but that particular club is so laid back club. We only have about 15 members and have no real rules except respect each other. I am guessing most of that club folks will register on their own just because and won't be an issue.

One of the clubs I am in is going bye bye because the land they are own is being sold. It went up for sale some months ago. As a matter of fact we have an emergency meeting next week to discuss a land issue (I am guessing there is a contract on it now and they are desperate - just a hunch though).

That club has close to a hundred members and have several yearly events so this is not good for those guys. Some of them may come the way of our small club but we have a cap of around 15 members. We may allow 20, but I expect that would be the limit.

I mentioned to them immediately after I heard the land was for sale to get busy and look for land and not to wait around because when a land buyer comes in you only have a short period of time before you are out. I gave them a couple leads as well.

They kept saying, no big deal we have a year because the landowner said so. I knew better as I have dealt in real estate off and on most of my life. You don't tell a potential buyer, we have to settle in a year. That don't slice it.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Over the past months, I have noticed our AMA president holding a quad on the inside cover or each AMA magazine. This month, he is holding an airplane... wonder what is up with that?

Must have found the plane somewhere in the building after crashing the last of his complementary " multi rotor, quad, drones " in the pond in front of AMA headquarters.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Our club is not planning on requiring proof of registration. It is between the member and the FAA.

BalsaDust

I have flown at your club before at a fun fly event. I think it was two years ago. I won the swanyhouse raffle prize you had. Knowing your location, I do understand why your club thinks it best to register.

I am in two different clubs in my neck of the woods and neither has had their meetings concerning this yet. I am VP of one, yet we really are not pressed to require it but that particular club is so laid back club. We only have about 15 members and have no real rules except respect each other. I am guessing most of that club folks will register on their own just because and won't be an issue.

One of the clubs I am in is going bye bye because the land they are own is being sold. It went up for sale some months ago. As a matter of fact we have an emergency meeting next week to discuss a land issue (I am guessing there is a contract on it now and they are desperate - just a hunch though).

That club has close to a hundred members and have several yearly events so this is not good for those guys. Some of them may come the way of our small club but we have a cap of around 15 members. We may allow 20, but I expect that would be the limit.

I mentioned to them immediately after I heard the land was for sale to get busy and look for land and not to wait around because when a land buyer comes in you only have a short period of time before you are out. I gave them a couple leads as well.

They kept saying, no big deal we have a year because the landowner said so. I knew better as I have dealt in real estate off and on most of my life. You don't tell a potential buyer, we have to settle in a year. That don't slice it.

Dude that sucks. We where in a similar predicament for this year but got lucky. We fly at ft lee and they told us we were gone. Luckily one member who is in good standing with them convinced them we will not be a problem. Where are you located at. If your not to far our club is s pretty nice club and we have two nice fields to fly at just a second field isn't good for anything over 50cc planes.

Judge

70cc twin V2
Our club is not planning on requiring proof of registration. It is between the member and the FAA.

Which is exactly what I have been told by several people in the leadership of the AMA. They have no interest in policing this.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Dude that sucks. We where in a similar predicament for this year but got lucky. We fly at ft lee and they told us we were gone. Luckily one member who is in good standing with them convinced them we will not be a problem. Where are you located at. If your not to far our club is s pretty nice club and we have two nice fields to fly at just a second field isn't good for anything over 50cc planes.

Yep, I am familiar with your club as well. Ben V. flies with you guys. He told me about them closing that field and then shortly after it was opened back up. There may be a couple of guys that would not be too far from you or the Aeronuts' field. I am not sure though.

I fly at Southside RC (Burkeville, VA) and CVRC (Powhatan, VA). CVRC is the one the land is being sold. I will know more after the meeting coming up this weekend what folks plans are.

With all the FAA and AMA stuff going on and losing a field I am sure some can get extremely discouraged by it all.