• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Attention, Hobby Flyers: Come Monday Some Of You May Need An FAA Drone Pilot Certificate.

GSNadmin

Staff member
The new drone rules set to go into effect Monday — known as Part 107 for the section of the federal aviation regulations — are expected to be a boon to commercial operators, lifting many current expensive and time-consuming requirements, including the need to have a manned aircraft pilot’s license and to stay more than 500 feet from people, cars and structures.

The new rules do require a commercial operator to get a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small Unmanned Aircraft Rating — licensed, current pilots have to pass a simple online test; non-pilots have to pass an aeronautical knowledge test which includes the ability to read aeronautical charts, understand and decipher aviation weather reports, in addition to learning the new operational drone rules. It costs approximately $150 to take the test. After taking the test, would-be drone pilots need to be vetted by TSA to determine whether they are a security risk. Only after that vetting is done will the FAA issue an applicant a certificate to fly a drone.

Read on

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I hate reading through all that government mumbo jumbo......if we are just flying our "drones"/multirotors around our club fields we are good right? Non commercial purposes

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Hmmmm......not sure it's worth all that trouble just to be able to fly my "drone" around to take pics and video of events. Our field is on the property of an uncontrolled city airport, but the FAA does have their fingers in it, so they may be keeping an eye on uso_O. The club has been there since 1985 with not one incident.

Judge

70cc twin V2
The only hobby people affected are those who fly FPV or do FPV quad racing. For now it appears that the FAA does not view those as "hobby" and thus will require those folks to comply with Part 107. For the rest of us it is business as usual.

I have heard that the AMA is working with the FAA towards the goal of allowing FPV in accordance with the AMA program.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Wow.....just to take a little video and pics that I'm not making money off of, just doing it for some simple event coverage. Kinda ridiculous

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Wow.....just to take a little video and pics that I'm not making money off of, just doing it for some simple event coverage. Kinda ridiculous
If you are a commercial operator. Hobby flights do not require this. Only if you are making money.