• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Beautifying the Beast

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
From Wikipedia;
"The North American Aviation T-6 Texan is a single-engined advanced trainer aircraft used to train pilots of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF), United States Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II and into the 1970s. Designed by North American Aviation, the T-6 is known by a variety of designations depending on the model and operating air force. The United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) and USAAF designated it as the AT-6, the United States Navy the SNJ, and British Commonwealth air forces, the Harvard, the name it is best known by outside of the US. After 1962, US forces designated it the T-6. It remains a popular warbird aircraft used for airshow demonstrations and static displays. It has also been used many times to simulate the Japanese Mitsubishi Zero in movies depicting World War II in the Pacific."

reyn3545

100cc
That explains it!

I do remember seeing some of them painted up as Zeroes... I guess we shot all the real ones down!
'

[QUOTE="Is there any difference between the Harvard and the Texan, or is that just a different name that North American gave the same plane selling into different countries?[/QUOTE]

The major differences that I know of are these:-

The exhaust is different, it comes along the right side and there are tubes inside the exhaust pipe that take hot air into the cockpit to make it warm.
There are no wheel pants as these would get damaged by the snow on the runways.
The layout of the cockpit instruments was different, to Canadian standards.
HARVARD EXHAUST.jpg

reyn3545

100cc
I remember years ago, when my son was in Cub Scouts, we took a couple of trips to stay the weekend on the USS Yorktown, an old WWII era aircraft carrier that's on permanent display at the Charleston, SC harbor area. The have several stationary displays of aircraft from many eras.... a corsair, several jets going up to the Vietnam era, a Stearman, etc..

And on the rear section of the hangar deck, they have a movie theater that plays Tora Tora Tora just about 24 hours a day. The Yorktown was used as a US carrier in the filming of the movie. I remember watching the movie with my son on the first trip, and when they showed some of the "Zeroes" up close, I remember saying That's not a Zero, it's and American AT-6.... and just got blind stares from folks around me!

I'd love to head up to Nall to meet you and many other great folks I've met through these websites. Unfortunately, for some reason, even though Nall is only about 2 hours from my house, I've never been there. I don't care to fly in crowds that size, but it would still make a great day trip just to experience it. I do travel a lot, and many years my schedule just doesn't allow the trip, but every year that I say I'm going, I always find some excuse not to. Must be a character flaw!

1. Go early in the week.
2. Fly early in the AM.

You will have the field virtually to yourself!

Last year was my first year and I had no issues.

BJ Swope

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd love to head up to Nall to meet you and many other great folks I've met through these websites. Unfortunately, for some reason, even though Nall is only about 2 hours from my house, I've never been there. I don't care to fly in crowds that size, but it would still make a great day trip just to experience it. I do travel a lot, and many years my schedule just doesn't allow the trip, but every year that I say I'm going, I always find some excuse not to. Must be a character flaw!

Mike, I've been there to observe 2 or 3 times. Amazing planes and flying. I pull my boys out of school and just go spend the day. If I stay too long I just grab a hotel room in Spartanburg that night. The quality of flying there is crazy.