• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Boost Tabs, no really I am serious.

Super08

70cc twin V2
Now that I see Craven has officially joined us it just won't be the same without a thread on boost tabs. The difference here is I am sort of serious. If you look at real aerobatic planes they all use spades to lighten the stick forces on the pilot. Why could we not incorporate the use of spades on our ailerons and elevators to lessen the force required by the servos. If we can lessen the load it would not only extend the life of the gear train but extend the life of the servo overall.

Thoughts????

It is possible and has been done. One of the major challenges is the lack of feedback compared to an FS plane with a pilot in it. Most aerobatics planes will actually shim the spades for aileron trim. So on a model if you did not get the spade perfect it would actually be fighting the servo around center. With todays servos, people have found it easier to just throw more torque at the control surface.

Dan

Super08

70cc twin V2
That makes sense. If you didn't have the spades perfectly aligned with the airflow then they would either be pulling or pushing on the surface. The result would be increased battery drain the same as if you had a multi servo surface and did not have the centers matched.

Super08

70cc twin V2
So I guess that takes us back to an actual boost tab like what was on fighters back in WWII. Very similar to a trim tab.