• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale BUSA Super Cub

TonyHallo

150cc
I put the Daytona White on the wings today. I started this build back in 2006 for a friend, our flying styles changed over the years and he began flying large scale Aeroworks planes. This plane went by the way side and I have been moving it around for years, can't you how many Aeroworks planes I put together for him. I hope to finish it soon. I hope painting the wings will give me the desire to finish.
The paint I'm using is Randolph Ranthane and it works just great, I've had the paint here since 2006. The colors are Daytona white base and Pontiac Red trim. I plan to use this scheme for the fuselage. The wings are solid Daytona White.

n7490p.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Here's a few photos of the wings from today. I had previously painted the wings however the paint fish eyed and had remove the covering and redo it' The wings had been in storage sometime with the Stits silver paint on waiting for final color. The fish eye problem was due to just using a hose off the air compressor, I have since added about 50' of 3/4" steel pipe and a home made air dryer that solved that problem. I'll post some photos of the original build here as I go along.

IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I came home from the fun fly today and decided that I going to assemble the Champ then finish this Piper Cub. The wings just look so nice I have to finish it. I will use Stitts products so I would like to work outside if possible.

TonyHallo

150cc
Some photos of the partially assembled wing. I ordered .012" SS wire from McMaster-Carr today to double wrap the turnbuckles and I am missing one turnbuckle, ordered that from DuBro. The servos are hidden under the fuel tank covers and the flap rod end is hidden in the trailing edge like the full scale. I used two scale aileron hinge kits when I built the ailerons and flaps. The turnbuckle fittings on the aileron horns are DuBro 4-40 rod ends turned down in the lathe with a piece of 4-40 threaded rod Loctited on. The pullies are from CB Associates now supplied MECOA.

IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Came home from my grandson's Little League playoff game tonight and did a little more work, they won by the way so I'll bee back there tomorrow. Installed the pulley cover, marker light, fuel tank cover and filler cap. The cap was one of the first projects I made on my lathe when I purchased it. Didn't have the milling machine yet.
This plane was my first attempt at actual scale like building
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Randolf's Ranthane. I really like it compared to the Steward System water born paint but I can only use it during the summer months. Looking forward to finishing the fuselage now, been moving it around the basement for 14 years.

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the bench cleared from the Champ repair and moved the Sub Cub fuselage onto the bench. First order of business clean off 14 years of dust. Next up determine if the Roto 85 with fit and what modifications are necessary. The plane was originally built using a 3W 56 CS engine, the exhaust was routed to the scale exit location with stainless steel header tube and fitting. Based on measurements the firewall needs moved back 5/8".
IMG_2666.jpg