• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Byrons Originals Pitts Special

Some outdoor photos of the finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 369
I finally got around to the maiden flight last week and it was interesting to say the least. As expected, the Pitts is very tricky on the takeoff roll. It took me 3 attempts to get it airborne. The first 2 resulted in what I would describe as spin outs. On the 3rd attempt I got the tail off the ground ASAP and it was much better. The flight itself was surprising in that the roll axis was very slow. As I mentioned previously I only installed ailerons on the bottom wings and I had the throws set very conservatively. That combined with the new engine not yet broken in a produced a flight much slower and tamer than I was expecting. The landing was also a surprise in that it was easy and uneventful. I used a very short final and approach which seems to work best with a Pitts. More after I make some changes.