• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Connectors; ESC to Battery. What Are You Using And Why?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Could have sworn there was a post/question about what connector was used for battery and/or ESC??

Started changing out my Lipo EC5's and the two connectors on my 4S series lead to the ESC. Took a picture of the connector orientation. Maybe this will help someone else that may have the same question.

EC5.jpg

Thanks! Great photo. I also found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpJI1zJXOo

Frank
Here's another video I'm sure you've seen already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnldHRtjre8
As mentioned earlier, Airboss ESCs are supplied with Deans so I used them when I first got the Edge. I found the Deans wouldn't go together if the little spring got lifted by the mating connector. I decided to go back to a supply of XT60s left over from flying helicopters. The recessed terminals are nice, you slide the heat shrink right in over the hot solder joint to push it into the nylon. I'm simply more accustomed to using them.

I think that the EC5 is an excellent and easily sourced connector and probably will convert as my planes and power demands go over 60A.

I think that no matter what connector you use, your soldering technique will make or break your power system. It's not brain surgery, but there are more ways to mess it up than do it properly. One thing I always keep in mind is that it doesn't matter how hot the iron is if it doesn't transfer heat. Keep the tip tinned and shiny! I use a 40W Weller, but I think something in the range of 25-30 will be more appropriate. I think the lower power irons don't oxidize the solder quite so quickly. I use 60/40 solder, but I've read that 63/37 is the best.

I was thinking about these for a future giant electric plane. Maybe it was more like day-dreaming.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/castle_connectors.html

Last edited by a moderator:

nsg

30cc
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Andersen Power Poles yet.

I use XT60 for smaller batteries, 5.5 PolyMax bullets for 4+s, 3000+mah. That makes it easier to connect the batteries in series. I use pieces of 10/9mm plastic tubing to protect the exposed bullet. If I were to start from scratch, I'd probably do power poles.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I was using XT60's for some time but have switched back to Deans as mentioned because they come on Galciers. I have no problem soldering them so this is a non issue for me.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
For those using EC5's what is your technique when using larger gauge wire? I have some Haiyin packs that have 8 AWG leads, the only way I can get them to soldier in is to tin the bullet and quickly insert the wire before the soldier cools. The joints seem ok, but I am interested in making them better... Any suggestions?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Trim your wire to fit the bullet depth. Tin the wire. Tin the bullet. Place wire above bullet. Heat the bullet again and it will drop right in. Hold in place to keep it straight. Push the bullet in the housing (warm but not hot enough to melt the plastic) before it gets cold. Repeat and done. Never trust the pre tined leads. It is lead free and does not solder well. Do not over fill the bullet or you will be digging solder out of the groove that snaps into the housing. Not a big deal but a pain in the butt. Use somthing to hold the bullet so you have one hand for the wire and one for the iron. I use a block of wood with a hole drilled in it. Hope this helps and makes sense?
Found a decent video:
[video=youtube;QHFU0sJZRdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFU0sJZRdI[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
So are the EC5 connectors from Buddy RC clones (still hard to say that rather than EP Buddy)

If someone else owns a patent on them, I suppose they might be copies? They don't come in any official packaging that I remember.