• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Did Sig stop selling wood?

Doc

50cc
It wasn't Lone Star, That was Riley Wooton and as many folks liked what they got from him I never had much luck with what I got from him. He was in Lubbock for a long time then moved to Ft Worth, they had a fire and it put em out of business The guy I used was Bill Wilson called himself Hobby Woods of Texas. In Palestine Tx a bit SE of Dallas

Doc

50cc
If you go to Sigs website and download the catalog the wood starts on page 80 and they list it all, balsa, bass, ply , hardwood and misc wood stuff. I could not get wood to come up using the sidebar on the left when selected??
Doc

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It wasn't Lone Star, That was Riley Wooton and as many folks liked what they got from him I never had much luck with what I got from him. He was in Lubbock for a long time then moved to Ft Worth, they had a fire and it put em out of business The guy I used was Bill Wilson called himself Hobby Woods of Texas. In Palestine Tx a bit SE of Dallas

Not a lot in Palestine, surprised a hobby store could survive there.

Doc

50cc
Not a hobby store, a man cutting wood in his shop and shipping it to his clients. Bill used to show up at Bomber Field with a big cover several tables and a mess O wood and sell that way, he passed out cards and you could order and he'd ship UPS. He went to other Big birds too. I did business with him for over 25 years, we did it the old fashioned way, I'd call and order he'd cut the wood ship it and mail me a bill, I was in Houston so the shipment and the bill usually got there the same day. I'd put a ck in the mail the same day or next and that's how it worked. Id order 250 to 350 of wood at a time, he never blinked just cut and sent it. Cant do business like that any more, no one trusts any body, a shame. Bill had some health issues and I don't know if he's still around or not.
Doc

Doc

50cc
PS you're right, not much in Palestine Tx.lol It says you're in Roswell Ga how do you know about Palestine Tx?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
PS you're right, not much in Palestine Tx.lol It says you're in Roswell Ga how do you know about Palestine Tx?

I grew up between Frankston and Palestine, went to Frankston high school. East Texas is beautiful.

Doc

50cc
Yes it is, I got out of the service in 81 in Denver and moved to Port Aransas Tx, stayed there a couple of years. Great place to party , tough to make a decent living, soooo we moved to Houston in 83 and were there till this April when we moved to east Tn. Its so quiet and laid back here after 33 years in the big city we can scarcely believe it. Its beautiful and I can go all the way across town in about 15 minutes LOL
Doc

BalsaDust

That's where I used to get a lot of stuff from too years ago !!

You might be getting some Midwest Balsa or maybe Sig !!

Lol well hopefully it's sig. the owner of this shop is a good guy. For me generally if there is something I need from tower hobbies I call him up and order it from him. May have to wait a touch longer st times but he gets stuff to me for the same price as tower minus shipping charges and sometimes throws in a discount for the amount I order from him. He is ordering a kadet sr for another club member from sig so easy enough for him to add 45 sheets of 1/16, 25 sheets of 3/32, and 15 sheets of 1/4 balsa to the order.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Back when we had a local hobby shop. He stocked Sig and Midwest. Sig was always better.

West Side Hobbies, man I miss that place.:cryin: It was run by a man named Clarence Idoux. He opened his first shop in East St. Louis Il.. in 1947. East St. Louis got so bad in the 60's he moved to Belleville where I lived. The building was tiny, to say it was 500 square feet is being VERY generous. It was a KFC before he had it and a Diner run by my parents before that. Even though it was as small as a cracker box, man he had everything! Every nook and cranny of that place was stuffed full.

Clarence was a ball turret gunner in a B-17 in WWII, held some control line speed records and pylon raced after that. He could make anything fast. He passed away in 2001 and we haven't had a good hobby shop since.