• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
This is very similar to how the REDBULL air raceers cool their Lycoming engines you should look it up .
Thats why i placed the rear fence up on the firewall and rear baffles around the back of the engine to cool the engine .
Your Bang on Cam
Aircraft engines have been baffled and cooled like this for ages.....nothing new.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
What's new is we now have real time sensors and everyone sharing this info confirms and improves our knowledge of the aircraft. The cooling effectiveness and signal quality are just the most obvious and interesting.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Agree....I was just referring to the baffle design. Basic aircooled engine stuff that goes way back.

Rusty 73

100cc
I have notice is some guys just put a horizontal baffle along the cylinders and don't redirect the air over the cylinders to force the air down over the case .

Agree, nothing new about full size air cooled engines beening baffled not everyone baffle RC engines the same .
Orthobird has a fiber glass piece that redirects the air down over the DA 200 engine so the Telemtry sensor provide more accurate cylinder temps. :attaboy:

Rusty 73

100cc
The Cockpit of the REDBULL Edge 540 , point out the engine performance gauges altitude radio and compass .
Worth watching .

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One question with all this baffling. Everyone is installing a horizontal plate to force the air over top and then down and to cool the back cylinders. Then why are the fins on the heads not vertical so that the can flow over the heads and down. With fins running horizontal it blocks off the air.???? On the hottest part.

Rusty 73

100cc
Good point you have mentioned this before .:too-cool:
The Lycoming engines have vertical fins as seen in Redbull video, like you said which cools off the hottest part near the head .

I guess we should have seperate ducts to prodvide cool to the top of the engines.
I haven't seen anyone do this yet but if you run a fence vertically from the horizontal baffle you can provide airflow towards the heads for better cooling.
Won't be all that hard to due :I_agree:

Maiden of two Cardens is complete

Attachments

• IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 674