• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dual Rates Set-up

Roger Chamberlain

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have a question about dual rate set-up.
1. I do not know how yet to fly 3D.
2. I mostly fly IMAC style. I look at the current sequence and do my best to copy. Currently Basic & Sportsman.

This is my question when setting up ones radio. Do you guys when setting the low rates set them all, Meaning the control surfaces to ONE TOGGLE SWITCH on the radio?

Thanks in advance
Roger

BalsaDust

Its all personal preference. I have a couple club members that like to set each control surface up to its own rates switch but I personally do not like that. I believe in a more simplistic approach and have them all on a single 3 position switch on the right side of the radio. Really this holds true with just about everything in a radio setup though. I know a few that for 3D run a ton of expo on the rudder. For me I hate having expo in the rudder. Not sure why as I run 20-30 percent on the other surfaces but the rudder I just like it to have a raw feel I reckon.

Hope this helps.

WMcNabb

150cc
I have a question about dual rate set-up.
1. I do not know how yet to fly 3D.
2. I mostly fly IMAC style. I look at the current sequence and do my best to copy. Currently Basic & Sportsman.

This is my question when setting up ones radio. Do you guys when setting the low rates set them all, Meaning the control surfaces to ONE TOGGLE SWITCH on the radio?

Thanks in advance
Roger

I’ve learned only a fraction of what my transmitters could be programmed to do.
I fly Spektrum and use Flight Modes for the rates on both my DX9 and DX18.

Between two switches, one on each side of the radio, I have access to five flight modes. I learned this while playing around with an aerobatic Cessna 170. Flight modes were as follows: full span ailerons, flaps and ailerons, crow, low throws, and high throws. Each flight mode sets the throws of the surfaces and the corresponding amount of expo.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
On my 18SZ I run all my rates on a single three position switch (SD). The position closest to me is normal, next up is dual rates, and if I want a third rate I have to create a condition in the radio that I name 3D EXTREME rates. LOL. I have found myself moving away from triple rates and leaving the furthest switch active as dual rates as well. Low rates after the maiden are adjusted to my liking for sunday flying, then the next rate as give her all shes got (Or MFGR recommendation) and dial down/up to how the plane best performs for me.

Roger Chamberlain

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thank you all. My weekend is going to be set up messing around with Dual Rate configs.... I like it. Thank you everyone for giving me a new way to look at Radio set up.

Roger