• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

I think they were talking about the new 88/94 MXS, not the 76/85 one. I am doing my 76 up electric. Now that I have a ton of 6s 3300 and 3700s I might have to give the 64 a try. Never flew one of them for some reason.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
No, it was the 85 MXS. I'm still not sure of the wingspan because I read one of the team member use 84 recently in a post from Nall. Maybe a typo and 85 is right. I had a brief PM conversation with Chris a few months ago about powering the new 74's and he mentioned that he would be using the new 50cc motor from Motrolfly at SEFF in the MXS. He mentioned at that time testing the DA50 for the MXS too because it is really a 50cc size. My old Godfrey has an 85 wingspan and a 76 fuse too, but 17 pounds with a DA50 and a stock muff. 85x76 is really a scale ratio. The bigger one at Nall has the DA70 twin right now.

I'll be doing electric no matter which one I buy but I think you may be disappointed with the A60-8S on 12S with the 21x10. The log data Liberty sent me is okay, but just slightly better than the 215Kv A60-7S on 10S with the 21x10 that Tom's flying now. My DM4330-206 with a 21x8 is pulling about 350 more Watts and pulling about 1.5 to 2.0 pounds more in static tests. He's also trying a 22x10 Mejzlik E-L on the A60, which should be better if the motor can handle it. I'll know more when he sends me the static test file for that prop, and I should be able to test the 20x10 on the 206Kv with 12S tomorrow.

I have been running a 20x12 PJN on my A60-8S while at Nall to get some energy. The airplane is a turd electric, so I will be relocating that that motor into a 73" AJ Laser I think. I am picking up a 5335 for the MXS. I need to find that Mej 22x10.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I have been running a 20x12 PJN on my A60-8S while at Nall to get some energy. The airplane is a turd electric, so I will be relocating that that motor into a 73" AJ Laser I think. I am picking up a 5335 for the MXS. I need to find that Mej 22x10.

DM5335 is right for the plane and the 22x10E Mejzlik is a good prop for it. I have two, and one is in the box of props I sent around the country so that a few guys can try them on the DM5335-189 and the Q80-8M. They are in Alaska right now, and scheduled for IN next. If you can wait, they should be available in a month and we can send them to you after that. We got some great numbers off the DM5335 with it and about 28 pounds is the measurement and calculation too.

In all fairness, the 22x10 PJN was just as good when I had them on the A60-16M, but that motor seems to be misrepresented as a 215Kv and the numbers work out to more like 232Kv. That made the 22x10 a huge load for the motor and although it still spun these props to 7000 RPMs on 3.65 volts per cell, they ran hot, sagged the voltage below 3.4v per cell many times, and developed timing issues. I'd try the Falcon electric CF too just because they are so much easier to get and when we've tested Falcon gas next to Mejzlik, the results were close enough for me to consider either and use price and availability as the deciding point.

The A60 28 pole 7S and 8S are not comfortable with anything over 21 inches on 10S and 20 inches on 12S. The 215Kv A60-7S on 12S with the 20x8 is the best power I've seen so far on the 595g class motors -- 21.73 pounds of thrust. I wish I didn't sell both 695g A60-16M motors because at 232Kv, a 21x10 or 22x8 on 10S would easily do near 24 pounds of thrust at 7000 RPMs and the 78 Extra e-version came in at 13.45 pounds with it. That's also $300 less than the DM5335.

I just wasn't crazy about the front C-clip groove in the 8mm shaft, the front mount configuration, and the added weight of the cage mount and hardware. The cages are also not that strong. I'm wondering if someone makes a standoff for them similar to what they are using for the front mounted Neu motors.

From what I've seen so far, once you get to 1.75-to-1 thrust to weight, you may not notice anything more unless you have a pitch that will accelerate the plane vertically faster, a motor that manage the revs, an ESC that can manage the loaded throttle acceleration, and a prop that's efficient enough to keep up. I also prefer a 10 pitch limit for 3D so I may have to pick up the 16M again out of sheer curiosity, or just bite the bullet and spring for the DM5335 and go with the bigger props, which is my preference anyway.

On the sbach, the 20x12 just seemed more powerful. That airplane was not happy at the 12+ pounds it was on it's wing. I should have tried the H9 Inverza. Little too expensive to get another 78 with the $110 shipping it takes. I think A60-8S will work well in the 73" AJ laser or one of the 74" EFs.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I'm sure the motor will be great on the 73. From the weights I've been getting, I estimated something around 10.7, which is right in line with my 74 Extra with the A60-7S on 12S. I only have flight log data for the A60-8S from the Castle log, so if you ever get a static RPM reading, I'd love to see it, and what prop is doing it.

Or if you have static log data exported, I'd be able to parse it and compare it to the other motor data.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 6400 on the 21x10 and 6900 on the 20x12 off of the spektrum telemetry. Falcon electric wood.

3100 watts on the eflite wattmeter on the 21x10. Tested it with both ESCs and got similar numbers.

I kept meaning to try my Mej 20x10EL, but there was always something else to do at Nall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Those are big numbers... I'm getting 7073 RPMs on the DM4330-206Kv on 12S and 21.5 pounds from the tests I did today with the 20x10 Falcon (W2E). 6900 with the 20x12 should be at least 24 pounds, no? I can't imagine being disappointed with this if the 12 pitch produces lineally. I have no experience with a pitch more than 50% D/P.

The 20x12 was pretty nice. The 21x10 was disappointing to all that flew it. Again the sbach was stupid heavy and had a poor CG the first day out.

I use a 15x8 on my Torque 500kv on my laser, so this was similar to that.

I might give the 20x10s a try before I dismantle the plane just for testing.

I can't wait for the new airframes.

I put a VVRC 40 in my 74 edge as this would have been the better candidate for this setup. I think a AW 260 freestyle would be decent as well as it has the wing and such to carry the weight.