• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Reauthorization will stop RC flight as we know it

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
OK I know the title is a little dramatic and not quite true, but we need to stop the current trend. The Congress is currently looking at the House version and the Senate version of the FAA Re-authorization Act Of 2016.

The House version pretty much keeps "model aircraft" operations the same as ever. The Senate version has some serious problems. They now will convene a "Reconciliation Committee" to figure out what the final law will be.

As the Senate bill reads there is a 400' limit with vague exceptions, there is a requirement for toy airplanes to be certified by the FAA and there is a requirement that you pass a FAA written test to fly an RC aircraft.

WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!

@Bartman I appologize in advance for posting the following post on multiple sites. But it is important.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Here is a letter I sent to one of my senators. Feel free to copy, edit paste or whatever.

This truly is our last chance

Dear Senator Nelson,

I have sent you and other legislatures my concerns regarding the progression of the FAA re-authorization act of 2016. I know that there needs to be some legislation regarding the introduction of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) into the national airspace due to the new technology. However this new technology has absolutely nothing to do with the long standing hobby of model aviation. The re-authorization act, as passed in the Senate still contains several provisions that are unnecessary, and are destined to destroy the model aircraft hobby that has existed with ZERO incursions with manned aircraft for over 80 years!

Operators of model aircraft, operating within line of site (LOS), in accordance with the guidelines of the AMA or as codified in the proposed regulations, a Community Based Organization (CBO) has never been an issue within the airspace. The proliferation of new technologies, that allow flight beyond line of sight (BLOS) is the issue that needs to be addressed with legislation.

The current version of the proposed Senate Bill has provisions that would require FAA certification for model aircraft that are designed to be flown LOS. These aircraft are built by model aircraft enthusiasts, designed by small "mom and pop" companies and sold by small businesses that will be destroyed by the proposed legislation.

I have personally built many model aircraft, from pieces of wood, glue and plastic covering that, when completed, will be considered a small unmanned aerial system (SUAS) according to the current legislation.

There is a HUGE difference between Model Aircraft, Flown LOS, within the guidelines of a CBO and the new issue of technology that allows irresponsible actions of people with technology to endanger the airspace.

I would like to personally invite you to the Daytona Beach Radio Controls Association flying field to see the difference. If you are in the area on May 7 we are having a cook out and you are invited. If that date does not work let me know a date that does.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
I called my Congressman's office today to get the names of the US Senaetors and Congressmen who will be on the reconciliation comittee to hash out the final bill. They could not answer my question. If anybody has these names, please share. I want to reach out to them.

Last edited: