• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Field Equipment: Battery Chargers

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The PowerLab 6 and 8 are both nice. I bought an 8 because when I went to buy a PL6 and some power supplies last year the guy was out of 6'S as was FMA, so I bought the PL8 instead because I'm too impatient to wait. I doubt I will ever out grow it.

Personal experience speaking here guys......

When charging multiple 3-6S packs in parallel, be mindful of using them in a series connection, ie 2 6S packs in series to make a 12S pack. If the cell voltages are not equal to another, you will end up with a cell or more greater than 4.2V. I seen this over the weekend as well. I charged several 45C Pulse 5000s 12S stick packs f9r a guy, and he was parallel charging each stick pack. Not only does it drive up the IR somewhat, but the above mentioned. His packs were turning around for a healthier discharge after 4 cycles.

If charging in parallel and only using each pack as a 3,4,5 or 6S pack...... It is ok, but every once in a spell, use them a few times and charge them indivudally.

When I got my iCharger 406 Duo, I went from parallel charging to charging as 6S packs, each port, not only did my packs IR be reduced, but the cell voltages are always within 10mV of each other, low to high cell. I now have gotten another iCharger, a 308 Duo. I need more power to run both supplies at their peaks. I want 3500 or 4kW supplies. But then, I need more genny power too. All in due time.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been having the same thought, so I charge in singles when time isn't an issue. Since i"m flying a Trex 550 and a Goblin 570 I only need one battery at a time anyway.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I'm not understanding how a cell can end up greater than 4.2V, not saying it isn't happening, just not understanding and would like to as I was planning on getting a 30cc setup on 12s in the near future.

I usually only see 5-10mV difference when charging in parallel even. Trying to figure out how 2 in series would cause a single cell to go high unless the IR for that cell is way off in comparison with the other cells in the pack. Only other things I could think that would cause this would be if the batteries being charged in parallel greatly differ in starting voltage when charging or if there was a dirty connector/contact somewhere on the parallel charge board.

When you add packs in parallel, the charge sees the average voltage reading, not the voltage of each cell of each pack you have hooked up.

Instance..... We will use 3S packs, for quicker typing on my end. Again, the numbers below are hypothetical and example.

Pack 1 Pack 2 Average voltage

Cell 1.... 3.75 3.73 3.74
Cell 2.... 3.82 3.73 3.77
Cell 3.... 3.80 3.73 3.77

Total V... 11.37 11.19 11.28

The charger watches for the "pack" cell voltage to reach 4.2V.

You are 1000% correct in your last statement, Jake. " Only other things I could think that would cause this would be if the batteries being charged in parallel greatly differ in starting voltage when charging."

You plan on doing a 30cc electric set up later on. I would HIGHLY recommend investing in another charger. If you have a PL6, I would suggest getting another. This way, you can monitor each 6S pack itself. :)

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I gotya, pretty much what I was thinking. I haven't gotten comfortable enough to fly without checking each pack separately after a charge and with the PL6 all batteries have been pretty much spot on thus far. I will keep an eye out though and will have an icharger 206 in that case as well which can still charge the packs I have at 2-3c without breaking a sweat.

One thing I do though when parallel charging is let the batteries sit plugged into the charge board for 5-10 minutes before starting the charger, theoretically they should somewhat equalize any small difference.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I saw one of the guys at our field fry a balance connector by plugging the balance connectors to the parallel board before the mains on a set of 6S 5300's. To much imbalance for the tiny wire.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I'm really digging the pl6. The open spot in my case is for a PL8 in the future if I ever need anything bigger than the 6.
The PL6 is cool and I include both in my quality comments. Just a little power differences and to be honest I almost never use all my power. I simply love the balancing power.