• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Hinges

I bought that AeroBroach. Havent used it yet, but I got one!

I have been using GG on my hinging lately. A small syringe works wonders too. I just pinch the tip so that it fits down in the slot a little deeper. A little goes a long way. I glue up one side, slap hinges in, glue up the other, shove it all together. Give it a deflection each way, fully. Then tape it together. Some folks like to tape at the extreme travel, but not me. It is all trial and error there. What works for me, may not for you.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
When gluing hinges, just remember to dry fit the surface and run it through its range of motion before the glue sets. For example, when gluing aileron hinges, put your epoxy or whatever glue you use in the wing hinge slot, install the hinges, then install the aileron with no glue on the aileron side of the hinge. Move the aileron through its range of movement to set the hinge alignment (ensures no binding), let dry overnight, then glue the hinge in the aileron the following day.
:I_agree:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yup flat hinges work well. That's some solid advice from @Surfer Dude and @ThePledge .
I also like to pin the inner most and outer most hinge on each surface. Just push a T-pin through each one and cut it off flush on each side. Makes for an uber strong setup. Can't do that with Robarts.
I've been using the flat hinges. I've used robart style but prefer flat. I like to do the entire surface. Dry fitting the hinges and deflecting the surface fully, gives me an idea of minor adjustments that are needed. I've not used gorilla glue, however many use it with great success. My preference is a drop of oil on the pivot point, epoxy into each slot, film of epoxy on both sides of the hinge. Slide hinge in slots, slide surface into position on flight surface. Alcohol and paper towels for clean up. Let cure, done! Don't forget the pin in each inner and outer hinges.